Bloody Poops

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vtscapeartist, Jul 30, 2014.

1. vtscapeartist

vtscapeartist Hatching

Mar 9, 2014
    Vermont
    I discovered bloody poops in my chicks coop today. Saw another post similar but thought I would start with the questions below:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Red Rangers - 6 wks old, not sure of weight but all seem the same-no one looks thin or gaunt.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Active, all eating as usual, no one stands out to be lethargic or sick.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

First noticed today.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

Hard to ID who is sick in flock of 24 birds
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

None
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

No changes in diet, housing or any trauma to the birds
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Plain water from gravity feed water jugs, organic broiler crumbles and weeds from veggie garden.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Runny and bloody. Some whitish and creamy runny parts.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

None. Just cleaned all water and feed containers and removed all litter.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Not aware of any vet in my area who treats chickens so I'd be on my own.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

I'll post a picture when I can get one uploaded.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Deep litter management using soil from my garden, and clean dry pine shavings as litter/bedding over wood floor.

I am new to putting anything up on a thread, post, blog...so please bear with me here.

Not sure of the proper way to do this...

Any feedback/advice...thanks!

2. ChickenLover172

ChickenLover172 In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    North Carolina
    Bloody poops are a sign of disease. Bloody poops are one of the symptoms of cocci, so this may very well be a serious situation.:/

1 person likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Start Corid right away. To answer your question on your other thread about being organic, one of the BYC moderators uses Corid to treat his chickens, and I think he does most things organic since he is an organic farmer. Corid is not an antibiotic like Sulmet and sulfadimethoxine wich are also used in treating coccidiosis. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water, or 1 and 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon for 5 days. After completion of Corid give at least 3 days of vitamins and probiotics. This explains how Corid works:

How CORID works
    Structurally, CORID mimics thiamin (Vitamin B1) which is required by coccidia for normal growth and reproduction. When coccidia ingest CORID, they experience thiamin deficiency and starve from malnutrition. CORID has been experimentally administered at many times the recommended dosage and duration with no signs of toxicity.

4. vtscapeartist

vtscapeartist Hatching

Mar 9, 2014
    Vermont
    Thanks for the great information here. Very helpful to understand how Corid works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: