Bloody Rear End

sca001

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2020
Spokane, WA
I happened to be in cleaning out the coop when I noticed one of my hens was bleeding from her rear. I did the best I could to find the origination but haven't been successful. Does coccidiosis appear as solid blood or would this just be an injury that I need to keep an eye on? She doesn't seem bothered by it but there is enough blood coming from the wound that it at least caught my attention. I did my best to snap a picture with one hand and an impatient hen in the other.

Attachments

• tempImagernFVrg.png
    tempImagernFVrg.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 22
You're going to need to try again. I understand how hard it is to photograph chickens. But all we see is a little red blob that we can't see in context.

Your description of a "bloody rear end" could be a vent prolapse, a vent injury, a butt injury, or bloody poop on butt feathers. It does no good to explore every single one of those possibilities. There isn't enough time in the day.

If you have no helper, try binding the wings with Vetrap. You might do the same with her feet. Yes, hog tie her. Then lay her on a table on her side in good light. While holding her tail feather away from her vent so the source of the blood is completely visible, hold her steady while you snap several photos. Select the one you feel best illustrates what you're concerned about.

We'll wait.

Separate the feathers and get a really good look at the vent. If there is injury of any kind, you will need to separate her so the other chickens don’t peck the wound and make it worse. If you can get a close up, clear picture of the vent with the feathers not blocking they would be great.

do you know if the blood is coming out of her vent? I've had cocci problems before, and usually the blood is in their poo, or soaked in small patches in their bedding. check for bloody poop in their coop.

do you know if the blood is coming out of her vent? I've had cocci problems before, and usually the blood is in their poo, or soaked in small patches in their bedding. check for bloody poop in their coop.
No bloody poop anywhere that I can find. Her appetite is normal, she isn't lethargic, and drinking plenty of water. No symptoms of cocci except for the blood. I cannot tell if it is coming from her vent for sure. I do not believe that it is but I am not 100% certain.

Update: Looks like it was just a broken blood feather. I did my best to pull it out. I think I was successful. Thank you for the input!

Glad to hear you figured it out. My guess based on how the blood was on the feathers was going to be a blood feather as well. It sucks how bad those suckers bleed!

Back
Top Bottom