bloody roo comb that is now black???

tnfarmgrls

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
A couple days ago, my roo's comb had a few drops of blood on it. I thought he maybe cut it on the wire
Or something. Today, most of his comb is black! He acts normal, eats, and struts around but I am worried aboout it.
Temps have went from 60's to teens quickly...could it be that?
I have just the one roo and 5 hens. They have a large run so nothing
Can get to them. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

My roo got into a fight with another roo and was all bloodied up. What you're seeing is a big black scab. I'm assuming no frostbite because of the temps AND the fact you did see actual blood. You need to seperate him from the flock and let him heal otherwise the other chickens will keep picking at him. I use a big dog crate.

its frostbite if the areas were the frostbite is are hard and shrivled up u cant do anything but if there still normal but purple u can rub vaseline on it about twice a week that seemed to work for my chickens
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I agree with the vaseline on their combs and waddles. It sounds to me as if it hit him pretty hard and maybe cracked open from frostbite and this is where the blood came from. My sebrite went through this also even though I put vaseline on it! You can also use honey or neosporin without the pain relief. Honey might be your better bet since it also helps remove infections and heal the wounds faster than the others!

Back
Top Bottom