bloody roo comb that is now black???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tnfarmgrls, Feb 4, 2011.

1. tnfarmgrls

tnfarmgrls New Egg

Jan 2, 2011
    A couple days ago, my roo's comb had a few drops of blood on it. I thought he maybe cut it on the wire
    Or something. Today, most of his comb is black! He acts normal, eats, and struts around but I am worried aboout it.
    Temps have went from 60's to teens quickly...could it be that?
    I have just the one roo and 5 hens. They have a large run so nothing
    Can get to them. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Sounds like frostbite. Google images and compare. Let us know if this is it.

3. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    My roo got into a fight with another roo and was all bloodied up. What you're seeing is a big black scab. I'm assuming no frostbite because of the temps AND the fact you did see actual blood. You need to seperate him from the flock and let him heal otherwise the other chickens will keep picking at him. I use a big dog crate.

4. chickencrazy69

chickencrazy69 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2011
    its frostbite if the areas were the frostbite is are hard and shrivled up u cant do anything but if there still normal but purple u can rub vaseline on it about twice a week that seemed to work for my chickens [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  5. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    I agree with the vaseline on their combs and waddles. It sounds to me as if it hit him pretty hard and maybe cracked open from frostbite and this is where the blood came from. My sebrite went through this also even though I put vaseline on it! You can also use honey or neosporin without the pain relief. Honey might be your better bet since it also helps remove infections and heal the wounds faster than the others!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by