Bloody roost this morning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Linn Bee, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks like there is a lot of blood smeared on both of my roosts this morning. I checked everyone out and no one seems to be injured. Everyone was up and around eager to get outside when I opened the door.

I did feed some of the last garden beets yesterday, but that would have been seen in the poop color rather than on the roost boards, right?

The only thing I can think of would be some sort of bloody egg event - is that possible - or they found a mouse. While the coop is mouse proof when closed up, the door is open all day while they free-range.

Rusty, the rabbit, is in his cage above the roosts. He looks just fine so it isn't his blood.

Any thoughts?

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I noticed that once and it the blood was from a comb injury.....Combs can really bleed......

Now, a friend of mine had that happen, and here one of her hens had a prolapse, and the others must have pecked it.....

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Or a toenail, or spur damage.

4. Linn Bee

Quote:Thank you. I'm checking info on prolapse. Combs all looked fine. Toes were all good.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Keep in mind that when a comb gets bitten, it doesn't have to be serious damage to bleed like crazy. A tiny bit of point being bitten off can look like a crime scene based on the amount of blood that results. Of course it could be something else, but my money is on a small comb injury...

6. Linn Bee

I wanted to add closure to this thread.

All the girls look well. I suspect it must have comb damage (as someone suggested) that was the cause of all the blood.

Thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by