Bloody Rooster -- but no one is hurt?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SkyWarrior, Dec 5, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Today I went down to the coop and as I was feeding, I noticed that the BR rooster is all bloody with dried blood. I inspected him -- that blood isn't his. I checked all the other chickens in the pen -- they're not bloody either. The feeder was knocked over and the food was gone, but my hens could've done it.

So, I'm trying to figure this out. He's too bloody to have gotten a mouse. I keep the barn closed up at night with the lights and radio on. Rat? There's no sign of that either.

Why is my rooster bloody? [​IMG]

2. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Sometimes one of them will break a blood feather that is just coming in, it will make a good size amount of blood. There will be no sign of injury but sometimes a large area of dried blood on them or under the roost. Just a thought?

3. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Maybe they saw a rodent that was interested in your feed, and attacked it. It might be rodent blood [​IMG]

4. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    Also could be a small nick on the comb. Happened to my splash roo. A little spot on the back of his comb and when I went out to put them to bed, his entire head & neck was covered in dried blood. Apparently combs can BLEED!

5. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    My BR roo also had an issue about a month ago. I think he got his head caught in a weird place and panicked. I couldn't find and other problem except a nick on his comb. I put a little blu-kote' on it and all is well.

6. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    The blood is on the beak and on the neck and chest. Really nasty. I looked long and hard at the wattles and comb, but found nothing. That's why I was looking at everyone else.

If it was a rodent, it was a big one! [​IMG]

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    thats strange, today my chickens waterer had dried up blood on it, i inspected all of my chickens but found no cuts or anything, chickens can be very strange creatures sometimes

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Chickens are way to curious for their own good .

9. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Sounds like he got rid of something on your property. [​IMG]

10. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    You sure he didn't pinch the back of the head or the comb on one of your girls? I had that happen once, and he had it all over his face and spattered on the walls, but only by the closest of scrutiny did I find the lady who had actually done the bleeding -- the skin flap had closed back up and perfectly hidden the pinched area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by