Bloody Rooster Feet

cparkerpants

Chirping
7 Years
May 16, 2015
I see a few posts about bloody feet - and my situation isn't too much different than others. I have a cockerel who is a silkie, the other day I saw him mating (he is not graceful, whatsoever) with one of the pullets. When he hopped off, one of his feet had a flash of blood on it. It's the second time I've seen blood on him. It sounds like it warrants closer investigation. He has feathers on his feet - he's a silkie (mutt). I don't know if silkies typically have feathers on their feet. His activity level is great, and for the most part his girls don't bother him. I've never seen him get pecked at, and there's generally peace in the coop. They free range, and I give them mealworms as treats, along with other scraps from the kitchen. I hadn't separated him, because it hasn't seemed warranted, but - I think I'm going to need to take a closer look. My question is: Could it just be the feathers emerging on his feet? He's about 5 months old. The coop and run are safe, nothing sharp that I've come across. I like his disposition, and I want him to feel relaxed around me. He comes to me for treats, but I was wary of handling him too much. My other concern is his many toes. Can that cause problems? Sorry for the long post. Thanks for the help, in advance.

In one of my feather footed banty roosters, he would occasionally get a blood feather plucked from a leg, and bleed on the roosts. It always looked like someone was slaughtered. If you see one of those, just pull the feather out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom