bloody rooster?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by me-anderson, Jan 14, 2009.

1. me-anderson

me-anderson Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2008
    Scituate Ma
    We have just brought our rooster Julio to the vets because he was bleeding everywhere from his comb. My question is can frostbite cause bleeding? the vet kept him and is going to put him under anesthesia ans try to cauterize it. the vet is not a chicken expert but was trying to track down all info on it, but he was also not sure if he was attacked by something or if it was from frostbite. He does have some newly black tips on his large comb.

I thank you in advance

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there anyway to get a pic. I have never seen frostbite cause bleeding. But it could be from someone pecking him. Do you have another roo?

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Yes, frostbite can cause bleeding. He may also have just cut it on something. [​IMG]

4. me-anderson

Jul 28, 2008
    Scituate Ma
    no other rooster! we have him and 3 girls, We didn't get a chance to take a picture before we took him to the vets either

5. me-anderson

Jul 28, 2008
    Scituate Ma
    We picked him up a little while ago, they debreeded the wound and stopped the bleeding and he's on an anti-biotic 2x a day for 10 days. It is frostbite. He seems much better. we have him in a large dog crate on our heated porch for I guess the duration of the meds, And I feel officially nuts

Thanks for the couple of replies

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    No need to feel nuts. [​IMG]

I would have removed the comb and wattles (dubbed), but that's my own personal preference regarding frostbite. Not everyone is up for it.

As long as it doesn't get infected it will heal and any dead flesh will fall off. You'll need to take precautionary measures to ensure it doesn't happen again. Most folks here suggest coating the comb and wattles with petroleum jelly on a daily basis.

7. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for the up date. Now I kmow that it can cause some bad bleeding. I have just never seen or heard of that. With mine that got frostbite it has always just turn black and fell off in a matter of a week or 2. I hope he makes a fell recovery.

8. Chicken are a strange lot in some regards. When they see a abnormality in another bird they peck that bird and sometimes to death. It seems it is a natural reaction, one to weed out the weak and maintain the health of the flock. I does happen.

So, my guess is the poor roo ran into a bunch of hens (this is where the phrase HEN PECKED may come from) and got into a bit of trouble with a frostbitten comb.

[​IMG]

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I've had the same problem going on with my Welsummer roo.

I noticed a few weeks ago that the tips of his comb were getting a little black, so I started greasing him down with vaseline to help prevent the frostbite. Then that created a whole new set of problems! [​IMG] The hens were attracted to the shininess of the comb and have pecked at him mercilessly. His poor comb is so bloody and raw, so I truly feel your pain here.

Glad the vet got you straight and hope he makes a quick recovery for you. [​IMG]

10. me-anderson

Jul 28, 2008
    Scituate Ma
    [​IMG]:lol:with all the snow we have between the ground and the coop it looked like acrime scene, My husband said we need csi-=-chicken scene investigation.[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by