bloody/runny poop - update, new question!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by birdbrain5, May 15, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    my chicks are 2 days old, they hatched here and have only been in contact with eachother. i just noticed one with some reddish runny poop. kind of bloody looking. then another with runny poop normal color i guess... any thing i can give them? what could it be? they are all eating, drinking, and active.
    thanks!

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Like blood, blood or tissue that looks red? I thought my babies were sick but I googled the chicken poop page to see what I thought was cocci was really just the shedding of their stomach lining. SOme of their poops are naturally runny. Take a look at the page and double check and then if they are sick, take out the sick ones, medicated food and other things people suggest here....Good luck! Hope the babies are ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. birdbrain5

Aug 2, 2010
    can you send me the link to the page?
    thanks! [​IMG]

4. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
  5. birdbrain5

Aug 2, 2010
    thanks for the link. i have been watching them closely, im not positive if its actually normal or not. i saw another reddish poop in the brooder again today, and the one that i know had some the other day has some runny poop on his bum. i havent had this happen with any other chicks of mine. i dont want to waste anymore time tho if there could be something wrong. what could it be from, and what can i do?

6. g&h farm

g&h farm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    Brooksville, Fl
    I had this happen for the first time this year and lost some of my chicks. The problem was I ended up with too many chicks in the cage because it was cool out still and I didnt want them to get a chill so we ended up with cocci. I lost a handful of them and the rest are fine now. I went to the local feed store and got a liquid treatment to put in the water. Watch for droopey wings and lethargic looking chicks. They get it from eating poo. I was cleaning the cage daily but had them closed up in htere to prevent draft and it was just not good. Sometimes we try hard and make things worse. Good luck.

7. birdbrain5

Aug 2, 2010
    do you remember what the name of the liquid you got was? i have TSC close enough by i could get something at..

8. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:sulmet or corid (sp??) is what u need...i will find the link

9. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Sulmet & Corid liquid can often be found at TSC, some feed stores but if not you can order it - Jeffers Equine has it in their livestock dept. I would use the Corid first because Sulmet can cause more bleeding, use corid for 7 days. wait 21 days then use Sulmet. Do not use 2 Sulfa meds at same time or back to back. I use corid, wait 21 days , use Levasol Hydrocloride, wait 21 days, use Wazine , wait 21 days then start again if their is a bad prob. with worms. Ivomec is helpful with some worms, and lice/mites etc. Using the above method will kill most types of worms that a chicken can get. How old are the chickens?......Others use some more natural items like pumpkin seeds or apple cider vinager for some types of worms. Best bet for cocci is Corid.

This is an excerpt from another thread on here.

10. birdbrain5

Aug 2, 2010
    ok, the chicks are just 3-4 days old. they are the only ones i am having any concern about. my other adult chickens, or other chicks are all doing fine. I will be keeping these ones seperate of course, and I will try TSC tomorrow for the corrid. How long until I can put them in with other chicks without spreading any issues? I have a brooder I have split in half by wire and I planned to move them into it soon, but dont want them spreading what they may have.
    also, how did they get this? they havent had any contact with other chicks, chickens, or anything. they have gone right from the bator to a bin i keep them in inside the house..

ETA: can i give them ACV in thier water or in a dropper to these chicks? im worried about one, its a lot small than the others and seems a little more mellow than the rest. i just hate to find one dead in the morning.. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by