Bloody sack on hatchling Delaware, what is it or do??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DutchChicky, Apr 14, 2009.

1. DutchChicky

DutchChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    Just hatched my first Delaware chick from Tracy, one day early!
    SO excited, sat the whole time from the first pip, 4 hours ago till now watching. Now I see this bloody sack, is this the yolk not absorbed?!?!?
    And if it is is it always this bloody?
    and why did this happen, high temp, high humidity. What I don't think.
    Temp, stayed between 98-101 , most of the time was able to keep it at 99 in a forced air incubator. Humidity was the whole time 30-35% till last 3days 60-65%
    Any suggestions?
    Can it survive?

2. DutchChicky

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    forgot the PIC [​IMG]
    I think you can click on the pic to enlarge

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  3. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    That happened to one of my Japs on my last hatch a week ago. It did not make it but a day. I hope you have better luck. You may want to wrap it in a damp paper towel and let it try to absorb it. Good luck!! [​IMG]

4. DutchChicky

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    no I don't think it wil make it either, it looks if it intestins are still out. Can't see it right, is curled up to much to the bottom [​IMG]
    So sad , was so looking forward to these chicks. Had to wait a half year before I got them, because of circumstance. From the 13 eggs only 7 made it in one piece. DEAR USPS!!!
    So was very suprised the rest of them even where still viable after an obvious hard handling!
    Very excited to see they made it this far, except one egg, that is alive, but looks 3 days behind in development.
    Well time will tell

5. DutchChicky

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    Second one hatched just fine [​IMG]
    Two more pipped. nothing yet on 3
    The little first one definitly has intestines on the outside [​IMG]
    Labored breathing and hollow belly, don't know how long it's going to last.Would be my first time culling if he/she doesn't pass on itself.
    Now I'm wondering if the blood in the bottom is going to be bad for the ones that still need to hatch. Hope it's sson so I can clean it all out.
    Hatching is fun but also painfull sometimes

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Had a couple like that. If those are the intestines, it will not make it. Best to take it out and cull the poor thing. Sad, but it happens on occasion.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:Exactly as Speckledhen says. So sorry.

8. DutchChicky

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    thanks speckledhen and Tuffoldhen !!
    So if I take it out I wont jepordize the rest of the hatch?
    Should I leave in the bloody water even if it's starts to smell?
    One egg , when I candeled on day 18 looked very much alive , just a few days behind the otehers, I'm afraid if it's going to make it , it won't hatch till day 23-24. By that time it's going to really reek in there

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd quickly take it out if it was mine.

10. DutchChicky

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    Well took out dying chick, and now have 3 healthy babies and one is pipping,
    2 nothing yet. But if I get 4 healthy babies out of this I'll be super happy. After the rough handling they got by the USPS, it's a miracle!!!
    The replacements Tracy sent for the 6 broken ones, 5 are developing nicely. Have to wait another week for them to hatch. Going to be another night of no sleep [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by