Bloody/scabby growths on chickens. Pics.

heidiannlewis

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Easton, Massachusetts
This is my 16 week old buff Orpington chick I've had for about a week and I'm concerned with this scabs. Anyone know what I might be dealing with here?
[/IMG]

Is she around any other chickens older than her? looks like she was getting picked on, but not completely sure. I would observe how she and the other chickens get along. Hopefully it's something not too bad :) Good luck!

Last edited:
This is my 16 week old buff Orpington chick I've had for about a week and I'm concerned with this scabs. Anyone know what I might be dealing with here?[/IMG]
The scab on the leg looks like it could be from injury. You can apply some triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn to the wound. Watch to see if anyone is picking at it, if so, cover it with a dab of Blu-Kote.

For the face it does look like Dry Fowl Pox and will generally resolve itself in about few weeks. Since it is so close to the eyes it could cause some problems with secondary infection if you're not careful. For any scabs near the eyes apply Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment. Any other Pox scabs you see apply some Iodine to help them dry up and heal. Don't pick off the scabs.

Make sure you keep your water stations clean and sanitized.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

Back
Top Bottom