Bloody slimy egg????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rmstuck, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Rmstuck

Rmstuck Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2012
    Ames,IA
    So yesterday all 4 hens layer great healthy eggs. When I got up @ 7 this morning it was laying in the coop kinda looked like a tomatoes skin at first. Should I worry I have only had these chickens a week but they have been great so far im just new to chickens and not sure if I should worry about who produced the egg or I should say rubber shell with blood inside. Thanks for your help.

2. Rmstuck

Sep 11, 2012
    Ames,IA
    Nobody?

3. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    How old are the girls? Are you feeding Layer feed or atleast offering Oyster Shell free choice? Could be from the stress of new location. Provide as much info as you can, it helps us help you. [​IMG]

4. Rmstuck

Sep 11, 2012
    Ames,IA

Age I'm not certain of I bought them 1 1/2 weeks ago. I was told they were 25weeks. I am feeding purina layer feed with oyster shell mixed in. It looked like the membrane with blood inside no shell. They have been laying good. I let them out for 2hrs a day otherwise they are in their run or coop. For treats they get scratch,tomatoes and strawberries.

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Since they are new to laying as pullets it is not unheard off. They are after all just getting there system going for the first time. If it contuines I would be concerned, but once or twice is ok. I'm no expert though. Just have had some when my pullets start laying for the first couple of month. I never sell these eggs because of this.

6. Rmstuck

Sep 11, 2012
    Ames,IA
    Thanks. All the girls seem happy and healthy so I guess only time will tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by