bloody spot on back

skidds

Hatching
Oct 1, 2020
I have 2 chickens that are having some feather/skin issues. A couple days ago I noticed some feathers at the base of the tail were looking messed up. The feathers did not feel smooth, and there were spots of what appeared to be skin. Today I noticed a bloody area at the base of her tail. Of my six chickens, I have only noticed the problem on the 2 easter eggers, The 2 white chickens (sorry not sure what kind they are) and the 2 RI reds do not appear to have any problems.

I have not noticed any fighting , but it is always possible. They have a 4x6 coop, 2 nesting boxes and a covered 10x6 run. The chickens are currently 28 weeks old. I feed them DuMOR Organic 16% Layer Crumble – they also have access to crushed egg shells (instead of oyster shells). The also get a daily scoop of grubblies and cracked corn for an afternoon treat

This is my first time raising chickens, and would appreciate any advice as to what the problem might be, and how I can help them heal.

Attachments

• IMG_8055.jpg
    IMG_8055.jpg
    803.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8054.jpg
    IMG_8054.jpg
    729 KB · Views: 2
It looks as if their flock mates are feather pecking/plucking them. It tends to happen this time of year when birds are in a restricted space due to weather. Generally the result of boredom, some feel it may be related to protein deficiency. Try protein supplementation and apply blue Kote to the pecked/bloody area.

blue kote or rooster booster pick no more should help, I agree with Sourland it looks to be a pecking\bullying issue. What is the protein percentage on your feed if you don't mind me asking? Hope she gets better❤️

blue kote or rooster booster pick no more should help, I agree with Sourland it looks to be a pecking\bullying issue. What is the protein percentage on your feed if you don't mind me asking? Hope she gets better❤️
I looked at the label on the feed bag - I think it is 16% protein.

It looks as if their flock mates are feather pecking/plucking them. It tends to happen this time of year when birds are in a restricted space due to weather. Generally the result of boredom, some feel it may be related to protein deficiency. Try protein supplementation and apply blue Kote to the pecked/bloody area.

Thanks! - I went out and watched them for a while, and it does look like all the other chickens are pecking at these 2. I will got get some of the blue kote and see what I can do to reduce the boredom

Back
Top Bottom