Bloody Spurs?!?!

spartacus_63

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 21, 2009
Central Iowa
I have a large protective RIR rooster. He is 18 months old. While I was out near the chicken yard I heard a ruckus behind the coop. I wasn't overly concerned due to numerous roosters and occasional bantering. I did go to have a look. I found my Alpha rooster on the step of the coop with a very bloody leg. It was so bloody that it had pooled some on the step. It appeared to be coming from the spur. He has very large spurs. Upon closer examination, Steve (the rooster in question) was uninjured. I then became concerned that he may have eviscerated on of the other birds. I did a beak count and found that none of the birds were injured. Could it be that he encountered a predator and gave it what for? I did not think to check for a blood trail until later and we had had some rain by then.

I wish I would have taken pictures. I know if I was reading this I would be saying...yea right. Any ideas?

Was his spur broken by any chance? Every 18 months or so my big roo breaks off his spurs doing something, walking, stepping on himself, or fighting something off. Usually leaves a blood trail and the two break off within a month or two of each other.

230_caleb_spurs.jpg

I agree with silkiechicken, it looks like an old rind circles the bloody stub, where the old spur should've hung on. It's nothying to worry about, people sometimes deliberately cut long spurs themselves.

His spurs are still intact and do not appear to be damaged. I wiggled them (similar to how you would wiggle a loose tooth) thinking he may have broken one but it felt solid. Also there was no blood coming from the spur after I cleaned it off.

I'm not concerned about him, he seems no less for ware, I was just curious as to were the blood could have come from. You may be right though and I will keep an eye on the spurs to see if they fall off. Thanks for the info.

Check your hens' backs. Verey large spurs and sharp spurs coupled with a large rooster can cause serious damage to a hen's sides.

I checked my flock and there were no injured birds. To include the other roos. From the amount of blood on the spur, a chicken would not have lasted long. His spurs are still in place and look fine.

Back
Top Bottom