bloody stool and some questions

packmule

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 7, 2012
aTx
hi,

i found this website doing a search for an issue thats come up and im really happy about it, theres so much information here. i read quite a bit and there seems to be a lot of different variables and conflicting information, not to mention what the chicken lady at the feed store told me isnt exactly what im reading here. so heres my situation, thanks in advance to anyone interested in helping me out.

5 days ago (saturday morning) we picked out 2 hens from our local feed store. 1 rhode island red, and 1 astralorp. both about 4 months old, as we were told anyway. neither of them are laying yet. we brought them home and introduced them to their new coop and gave them a day to get accustomed to it. the following day we took them out for a few hours, supervised, and continued to do so the next few days. they both are behaving in what i would assume to be a normal chicken fashion. i do see slight personality differences between the two, but nothing that would make me think one of them is sick. this morning i found a pretty sizable pile of bloody poop in the coop. i know it was the astralorp because every single night they have been in the exact same spot on the perch, including last night at midnight when i peeked in on them, and this pile is right under her spot. it wasnt all blood, it was some greenish white semi firm stuff, but with about a tablespoon of blood on top. internet searching chicken bloody stool almost exclusively returns cocci. at this point i wish i had taken a picture, and i will if it happens again. the chicken has been lively, happy and eating/drinking, grubbing around every day. including this morning after i found the bloody pile.

i called the feed store and it was suggested there has been some sort of trauma, as in "did you drop her?" unless they were partying around at night or when i wasnt looking and she hurt herself, this hasnt happened. i explained some research has led me to believe it could be worms, or maybe cocci. she told me to come in and get a wormer and some antibiotics. when i got there she gave me "wazine 17" and "duramycin-10" and told me to follow the directions on the packages, putting it in their water. after reading some here i have reservations about both of these medications and i would like to try and get some more information first. some of the things i have read here that i find pertinent are:

she may be too young to have the kind of infestation that would cause that much blood.

cocci would cause some lethargy or sickness type symptoms before the appearance of blood.

sometimes a hen will simply shed some blood from her intestinal walls. (this seems like too much for that)

dont give antibiotics unless you are positive theres a problem.

if one is sick i need to treat them both.

plus a host of other stuff about which types of medications are best, etc.

problem is, id like to have a general idea of what im actually dealing with. apparently i can have the stool tested to be sure, i may consider that at some point. i suppose for now im going to wait and see if it even happens again.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cocci problems need to be treated quickly as are any chicken illnesses. They can die very quickly. I put the word cocci first in my sentence so others will see that this is what your thread probably is about. I haven't had to deal with it so I'm not the person to give you good advice!
Be sure when you title your threads to put the problem in it because if someone has experience with that issue they'll usually jump right in and help out! Personally - I would listen to the people here rather than the feedstore. Good luck and welcome to BYC!

Cocci problems need to be treated quickly as are any chicken illnesses. They can die very quickly. I put the word cocci first in my sentence so others will see that this is what your thread probably is about. I haven't had to deal with it so I'm not the person to give you good advice!
Be sure when you title your threads to put the problem in it because if someone has experience with that issue they'll usually jump right in and help out! Personally - I would listen to the people here rather than the feedstore. Good luck and welcome to BYC!

x2. You need to immediately treat your birds with 9.6% Corid solution. It's in the cattle section at your feed store. Give it to both your birds. Dosage is 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5 days. Make a fresh batch daily and let them drink from it. Cocci kills quickly once blood in poop is seen.

so after reading your replies i called the feed store and talked to the older guy who actually orders and cares for the chickens. he was mentioning cocci before i even got my sentence finished and asked me to return her. i talked with my wife and she brought her back today. they gave her 2 reds in exchange, which i dont know much about. this whole thing has me mildly bothered. i suppose it was only a few days and we didnt really get much time to bond with her. plus she was a little more reserved than the other one with me anyway. my concern at this point is that the other hen hasnt got the same thing, and now we are going to introduce 2 more birds in the same coop. its been cleaned very well. should i expect any further issues?

You kept one bird right? That one has been exposed...and now you've probably exposed the other two as well (Unless they were with the others at the store to begin with in which case they were all exposed in the first place. This is why you should always quarantine new birds fro the others for at least 2 weeks.

so after reading your replies i called the feed store and talked to the older guy who actually orders and cares for the chickens. he was mentioning cocci before i even got my sentence finished and asked me to return her. i talked with my wife and she brought her back today. they gave her 2 reds in exchange, which i dont know much about. this whole thing has me mildly bothered. i suppose it was only a few days and we didnt really get much time to bond with her. plus she was a little more reserved than the other one with me anyway. my concern at this point is that the other hen hasnt got the same thing, and now we are going to introduce 2 more birds in the same coop. its been cleaned very well. should i expect any further issues?
See post #3 on what to do with the bird you kept and the new reds. Most likely if the new reds were in the same cage or brooder with the previous infected bird, more than likely they were already exposed and will need treatment.

Last edited:
Sorry... I just re-read my post and I sounded like I was scolding you! Didn't mean to. Just a very matter-of-fact person. I've certainly made my share of mistakes along the way. It's a learning process and I'm still a beginner! Best wishes.

@klmclain1 im a big boy, i dont get offended easily. i didnt take it that way. plus im here asking for help so i really appreciate whatever i can get.

@dawg53 (or anyone with input for that matter) i certainly get the concept of exposure to infection. where im at right now, is that the one we kept (who had been in the coop with the infected one we returned) did not show any signs of infection. shes very perky, eating and drinking plenty, and her poo is normal. so there is always the possibility she didnt get infected right? the guy i got them from explained the disease to me a bit. he suggested that theres the slight possibility she could be infected, but with no symptoms probably not after only a couple days. and now we have brought in 2 more but those were in a different pen than the one we had to bring back. everyone appears happy and healthy. i suppose if its not going to hurt anything i dont mind treating them all anyway, but if theyre not infected i would rather not. so is this a situation where i just need to be cautious and do it anyway? or should i continue to watch them and deal with it if theres symptoms? i mean, if in 3-5 days we have no signs of blood or lethargy wouldnt it appear they are all healthy?

on another note. one of the 5 month old red stars my wife brought home laid an egg in the box on the way. what affect does cocci, and also the treatment of it have on eggs?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom