Bloody stool found this morning. pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beckyschicks, Nov 18, 2009.

1. beckyschicks

beckyschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    This morning when I opened the coop up I found some bloody stool or what appears to be on the container that I put treats in. Also found it on the lids of the trash cans. Wasn't there last night when I locked up, because I put the treats in there last night. I locked up at 4 because we were leaving and it would be dark when we got home. I just peeked at them at 830 when I went to feed the other animals. I have 17 3month old cochins and 2 others that are 7months old. I don't know who it came from as everyone is acting normal and eating and drinking. I checked butts too and there is no signs of blood or trama. I was going the deworm them all this afternoon when I got home from work. So that hasn't been done either and none of them are on medication. They are in their coop only at dark and have hay for bedding that is a 2weeks old as we just finshed the coop. Another thing on my list for today was cleaning out the coop. They get fresh water in the morning and at night. I was going to start them on layer feed (when the other bag is gone) but they are still eating chick starter. They get treats from the scraps of our meals and if it's really cold scratch but that hasn't been for a couple of days. Any help if good help. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    It could be Cocci. You might want to put some Sulmet or Corid in their water...

3. djmooney

djmooney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    i cannot tell you what causes this but i have seen it a couple of times in my coop and all of my chickens have ended up fine.
    maybe it is something totally different

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I've seen it in mine, and that was months ago, they are VERY healthy right now - never figured it out
    Could they have eaten something, like tomatoes, that would do this to their poop?

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
  6. beckyschicks

beckyschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    Thanks I thought that maybe it was cocci and was thinking of medicating them to be on the safe side but also read how they can shed intestional lining and thought thats maybe it too. It's such a bright red. I did check the combs and nothing. Checked all the girls vents, nothing. I really only have one hen thats of laying age and she seems fine. She hasn't even layed yet because of the weather. I don't want to med them if they don't need it but thinking I'm going to have to if I want to sleep tonight. Darn chickens why do they make you worry! Thanks again!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by