bloody stool in ADULT chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pheasantman, Jan 21, 2015.

1. pheasantman

pheasantman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2014
    Hi everyone, last night I noticed a lil blood in some stools. My chickens are all adult silkies. the youngest is about 9 months most are 2 -3 years old. I read several previous posts here about chicks getting coccidiosis, but can adults get cocci also? any idea what may be causing this?

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Coccidia is a microorganism present in the soil, all birds of all ages that are on the ground will get it. When they are chicks they have weak immune systems and the cocci can quickly get out of control and overwhelm them. As they grow their immune system gets stronger and they will develop a tolerance/resistance to the cocci. Once they have developed this resistance the only time you really need to worry about it is if they become sick with something else as well, in other words worms, respiratory infections, wounds that are infected, all these will lower the resistance because the immune system is weakened by fighting those things. Then the cocci can overwhelm them. Medicated chick starter with amprolium is designed to weaken the cocci, but not eliminate it, this gives your chicks a chance to be exposed and develop that resistance. Bloody stool usually indicates either worms or cocci and you can treat for both at the same time using safeguard and corid.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/875036/safeguard

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

You have birds of mixed ages, adult birds are generally resistant to the strains of cocci in their environment but any new birds/young birds/chicks brought into the flock can bring along new strains of cocci that can infect the older birds. Older birds with weakened immune systems are also susceptible. It lives in the soil so it is always there. Just get some Corid and treat them all.

While coccidiosis would be my first suspicion and I'd treat for it asap, there are some worms that can also cause bloody stool as well. So if your birds on not on a regular deworming program you might want to consider that as well.

4. pheasantman

Dec 4, 2014
    Thank you!! I bought Corid last night so starting that today. I also have safeguard and Ivomec so will be worming too. thanks again, I appreciate the help

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Quote:Don't bother using the Ivomec, just use the Safeguard. The Safeguard dose I use is 0.23ml per pound for five days. This dose will treat roundworms, cecal worms, capillary worms and some species of tape worms.

-Kathy

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  6. pheasantman

Dec 4, 2014
    I have 18 chickens. is there an easy way to give an oral dose to that many?

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Have a friend help.[​IMG]

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  8. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    If you don't have someone willing to hold your chickens for you.
    Do they like bread? Some people will tear up some bread into bite sized cubes. They would do a plate of plain ones and a plate with 18 cubes that had the oral safeguard dose on them. The bread will absorb it. You may have to experiment a little to see how big a bread cube it takes to hold the safeguard. Then if you can let the birds out one at a time and throw them a plain bread cube or two, to get them really excited and then throw a treated cube, once you know it was eaten, move on to the next bird.

1 person likes this.
  9. pheasantman

Dec 4, 2014
    great!!! I do feed bread and meal worms as treats

10. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Sounds like a plan! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by