Bloody Stool

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by baby-blue, May 24, 2019.

1. baby-blue

baby-blue Songster

Mar 21, 2019
    I found a few spots of bloody stool this morning in my 2-3 month-olds’ coop. They interact daily with my 6 week old chicks who have not yet had bloody stool. They also usually interact with my 3-4 month old guinea fowl who haven’t had bloody stool either. Nobody exhibited signs of coccidia or anything else at roughly 7:30am EST, but I have not been home to monitor since then. They were all peppy and mischievous, as per usual. They are usually allowed to free range in the yard during the afternoon, but they weren’t able to yesterday. I’ve added no new birds. They were on medicated chick food until the 18th, they’re now on an unmedicated chick food. Could it be coccidia? If not, what could it be? I’ll be able to check them all this evening and I’ll be able to get more photos.

5D19C414-1543-4058-BA53-2EC0338EE601.jpeg C23640D2-D13A-43AC-A129-87CB6AD1A675.jpeg

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Yep! Sure can... depends on a lot of factors.. including individual immune system. I would treat them all using Corid.. avoid vitamin supplements during treatment.

It's good that no one is showing serious symptoms yet.

:fl

Sequel, baby-blue and coach723 like this.
  3. baby-blue

baby-blue Songster

Mar 21, 2019
    Still no symptoms and there’s no fresh bloody stool. They’re still being their normal trouble-making selves. All of the younger chicks and the guineas are perfectly healthy and happy, too. I’ll keep this updated!

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

That's good. :thumbsup

I have seen a bloody poo, very obviously a sign that coccidiosis is about to present. But not being able to find my Corid... simply continued keeping things dry and water changed often plus increased space available... and I never saw it become full blown with symptoms of lethargy or lost any of them that time.

Coccidia are always present but chick do have some immunity and do just fine as long as they aren't overwhelmed. Since coccidia can develop resistance to amprolium... I prefer not to use it if I don't need to.... but that leads mt to wonder.. HOW do the develop resistance to something that "mimic's" thiamine??? I feel a research bug coming on! :pop

Sequel and Criticalicious like this.
  5. Criticalicious

Criticalicious Songster

Feb 25, 2017
    New Market, VA
    Chickens always have some coccidia in their systems, similar to how we always have E. coli in ours. It lives in the soil and it's unavoidable. But the chicken's immune system keeps its numbers in check so it does not cause bloody stool or other problems. Corid and medicated feeds work by starving the coccidia of Vitamin B which it needs to survive. However, chickens ALSO need Vitamin B to survive. The idea behind medicated feed is to give the chickens enough time to build their immune system before they get overwhelmed with coccidia. My opinion is that medicated feed does more harm than good, because medicated feed can cause Vit B deficiencies rather than a healthier immune system.

I do not believe coccidia can develop a resistance to Corid unless they have somehow learned to survive without Vit B. Corid is not an antibiotic.

Sequel and EggSighted4Life like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: