Bloody stool

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mamachicky2014, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Mamachicky2014

Mamachicky2014 Hatching

Oct 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

One of my 6 Month old laying hens has had bloody stools in nesting box. What should I do?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  2. hennible

hennible Crowing

People will need more info to help you. Poops pics would be great. It could be a regular intestinal lining shed or it could be coccidiosis. There are other possibilities too.

3. Mamachicky2014

Mamachicky2014 Hatching

Oct 7, 2014
    There are no other symptoms so far, if it is Coccidiosis, not sure which chicken, so should I get rid of all the eggs till treated?

4. hennible

hennible Crowing

5. Mamachicky2014

Mamachicky2014 Hatching

Oct 7, 2014
    Thank you and here is a pic.[​IMG]

6. hennible

hennible Crowing

I don't think it intestinal shed. Not sure at all you need someone with more experience. So any worms in the poop?

7. casportpony

casportpony Go Team Tube Feeding! Premium Member Project Manager 6 Years

Jun 24, 2012
    Sf Bay Area
    My Coop
    I would treat for coccidiosis with Corid, which you can get at Tractor Supply in the cattle section.

Corid powder dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7 days.
    Corid liquid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7 days.

Make fresh daily and make sure it's the only source of drinking water. Okay to eat the eggs while being treated and okay to treat all birds.

-Kathy

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

If you've seen this more then once or twice then I really doubt it's shed intestinal lining and I would treat with a round of Corid. Coccidiosis usually does produce lethargy and puffed up birds but in a situation like this you need to start somewhere and it would be very wise to at least be able to rule out coccidiosis. Older birds who've had a chance to develop some resistance can still come down with it and their bodies may fight it off longer then a young chick would. Better to be safe then sorry. I very, very rarely see shed intestinal lining and it's usually not bright red nor a lot of it.

There is no egg withdrawal period if using Corid (amprolium).

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would treat with Corid (or amprollium, Ampromed, Amprol) for coccidiosis. Blood in stools can also occur with enteritis and capillaria worm, but I don't think it would be that much. Corid is not an antibiotic, so there is no problem eating the eggs. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid ?Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. After treatment (of all birds) give some vitamins and probiotics for several days. If a bird is too sick to drink the medicne, give some with a dropper. Here is some reading: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

10. casportpony

casportpony Go Team Tube Feeding! Premium Member Project Manager 6 Years

Jun 24, 2012
    Sf Bay Area
    My Coop
    If you have a small animal vet, call them and see if they look at a poop sample for you. It's also possible that she has worms.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: