Bloody Stools Americana Chick

cheeptrick

Songster
12 Years
May 1, 2007
New Hampshire
My 3 and 1/2 week old Americana has bloody stools x1 day. He/she is eating fine and drinking fine. Some free ranging has been happening in the last week while acclimating them to their coop/run in the afternoon (warmer in New Hampshire in the pm). They were vaccinated for Marek's Disease and Cocci by Mcmurray Hatchery and have been on organic 21% feed which I crushed with a mortar for first 3 weeks; I switched this week to a non medicated chick start generic brand. Hatchery recommended non medicated because they were already vaccinated and would make the vaccine null.
Only one chick in the flock of 24 seem to have the bloody stools, but not sure if he/she is the only one. They are all supposed to be female, but I'm a newbie and waiting it out.
Other things I've fed them:
Cottage Cheese
Plain Yogurt
Cantalope
accidentally 1 carnation flower?

What is Cecal Poo?
I'm very sure it is blood. I scooped it up with a white tissue and it was definitely bloody.
I just read that carnations are poisionous and used for insecticides...now I'm worried. My daughters dropped a carnation flower into the run accidently and the chicks attacked it and gobbled it up! I should have KNOWN! Totally beating myself up right now!

The poo is solid in nature with wet bloody fluid surrounding it and not the diarrhea 'cecal' droppings. When I checked the brooder this morning I had bloody droppings in the pine shavings and also when I initially discovered it while I was holding one. He pooped right on my kitchen floor and I scooped it up with a paper towel...LARGE red halo...unmistakenly blood. Checked all bums; no bloody feathers. Just the one chick. Seems fine...other than bloody stools. She/he is cute white/buff feathers and one of the larger chicks...always at the dish first; high end of the pecking order. The chick is now in isolation with another so I can keep a better eye on him. I'll wait for another one and I'll post a picture for clarification. Thanks for any help!

vaccines can fail (it could also be something >worms? that has damaged intestines) take the poo and get a faecal float ASAP (it should not be that expensive) and ask it also to be tested for cocci...failing that it is a gamble guess that this chicks vaccination has failed (it does happen) and you could start her on amprollium (corrid) separate and treat only the chicks with the bloody poos)...

Back
Top Bottom