1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BLOODY STOOLS!!! Need opinions.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MaratManor, Apr 27, 2016.

1. MaratManor

MaratManor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Brunswick, Georgia
    I have 5 chickens outside, 2 at 11 weeks, and 3 at 7 weeks of age. A few days ago I noticed bloody areas in poo, a lot like intestinal lining but also some reddish in normal poo areas as well(not like stringy lining)! I have no clue who the suspect is. No one seems to be acting any differently, all eating and happy. We also have 5 chicks that are 2 almost 3 weeks of age. They are on our porch completely separate from the others, but have been where the others scratch in yard occasionally. Anyways, this am I noticed my black chick had dropped some bloody poo(red and pink and stringy) just like the others I'd seen outside. Again all acting normal and eating. I didn't have any shed intestinal lining at this age (2weeks) with raising my first girls...so no clue if it's normal or not! (I've heard yes and no). Should I go about worming??? My question is can I worm 2 week old chicks? I plan on worming my older girls with equine safeguard to rule out worms...I don't suspect cocci because it's been over a week since I noticed some blood outside with the older birds. I can add that no bloody stools were found with the older birds this morning, as well as yesterday.

2. MaratManor

Mar 23, 2016
    Brunswick, Georgia
    Let me add that the black chicks poo is completely solid and in the normal range, as were all the rest. They look just like all the "intestinal shedding" photos on the poop chart! if I see anymore bloody poo I'll get a photo!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I probably would not worm chicks until they are at least 2 months old. As for the red droppings, the "chicken poop charts" are not always totally accurate about normal droppings. I would get a packet of Corid just to be safe, and have it on hand just in case you see more blood, and especially if one looks lethargic, hunched, or is not eating. Then start it on the young chicks if you feel they need it. You can always return it unopened to your feedstore.

4. MaratManor

Mar 23, 2016
    Brunswick, Georgia

Okay! And thank you for the reply. I didn't know when I was able to worm...They've all been acting normal, I live in walking distance to TSC so I'll definitely run and get Corid if needed! I've been watching them very closely ever since I saw it almost a week ago.

Thank you! I'll have it on hand in case anything changes! Right now they're all happy and "normal". Also wanted to add the red in stools usually happen in morning. I'll keep a close eye! Thanks for the reply

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by