bloody tail feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by slystr, Mar 27, 2007.

1. slystr

slystr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    I have a 3 week old chick tiat I noticed had a bloody tail stump. It is one of the bigger chicks but the others are pecking at her/him. what can I do to stop this? I ahve removed her from the others. How do I fix her butt(it's not her vent.) Do I need to get some more protein in the chicks? how do I heal the bloody chick? do I wash her? I don't have a larger space for them, there are now 8 in a 50 gal rubbermaid tub.
    What do i do?

2. ebbtide

ebbtide Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2007
    Florida
    Isolate her and wash/rinse with iodine.

3. slystr

slystr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    hmmm, i think she may be picking at herself!

4. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    Picking can be caused by more than over crowding. Is your brooder temp too high? I like to move my feeders and waterers at each feeding. A themometer would help at 3 weeks old they should be at about 85 degrees now and drop it another 5degrees each week there after. You may also try sprinkling a bit of alfalfa leaf over the litter to give them something to scratch at. A red light is more calming than a clear or white light also. And yes she maybe picking herself but the others are too it sounded like. She'll have to stay seperated till she's healed up. Good luck.

5. edbama2

edbama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Slocomb, Alabama
    I have had this problem before and use some stuff called Blu Kote. It can be found at a farm supply store. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by