Bloody tail update leads to more questions

Jens Hen House

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2016
So I've gotten my chick that had her tail plucked out on the mend, however we have discovered one that has been picking on the rest. How can I keep her from pecking the rest of my flock??

I don't know your guess is as good as mine.

Could this whole problem be they are in to close the quarters?? Are they too big for the brooder? Do they need to go to the coop??? I have them in a kiddie pool with boxes around the sides!! Best guess they are 3 weeks old with the offender being the youngest

I don't know your guess is as good as mine.

Looks like a mottled Cochin.

Could this whole problem be they are in to close the quarters?? Are they too big for the brooder? Do they need to go to the coop??? I have them in a kiddie pool with boxes around the sides!! Best guess they are 3 weeks old with the offender being the youngest

Cochins are generally very friendly, so your space may be the issue. Also, so you have a red light on them, or a white one? They are often more calm with a red light than a white one.

It is a Langshan. You could get them a larger brooder and/or give them a treat block. The only problem with my Langshans is that they don't know what treats are. Separate the chick for one week and she will be lower in the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom