Bloody tail

Jens Hen House

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2016
I have a chick who's tail looks like it has been plucked out and bleeding. What do I do???

Separate her from the others, keep her warm and make sure she eats and drinks well.
You can apply some neosporin or vetericyn to the wound.
How many chicks do you have in your brooder?
Any photos of your brooder setup?

We have 6.

I did isolate her with heat food and water she cried most of the night we have found when one is away they all cry to find it, they really like being together. She seems to be doing ok this morning. No more bleeding, how long does she need to be separated? And what could have caused this?

Last edited:

We have 6.

I did isolate her with heat food and water she cried most of the night we have found when one is away they all cry to find it, they really like being together. She seems to be doing ok this morning. No more bleeding, how long does she need to be separated? And what could have caused this?
Most likely caused by another chick(s) pecking at her. It looks like it is the back and the vent area, if she had a little poo stuck to her someone may have picked at that and then it progressed from there, if chickens see blood, they go for it.
If you can clean her up where she doesn't look bloody you can try applying some blu kote to try to hide the wound and see if anyone tries pecking at her again.
Since she is doing well, you may want to think about putting a barrier of wire in your brooder to put her in if the others continue to pick at her. That way they can see each other, also if you have another "docile" chick you can try to put one with her in the barrier so she has company. Some people put a little stuffed animal with an isolated chick so it has something to snuggle with.

Last edited:
I just went to the coop to check on our 7 1-2 week old chicks and I saw one had a trail of thick looking red blood coming from her butt. I watched her poop and it came out normally without a streak of blood in it but she did pull it out with her beak a little. Does anyone know what it could possibly be? We had to leave and won't be back until tomorrow. I am worried we may come home to a dead chick.
1f615.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom