Bloody top of head on hen, but can't find cut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Barry Natchitoches, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    When I went to put give treats to my hens late this afternoon, I noticed that the entire top of my (white) Delaware hen's head was stained with blood.

The blood looked fresh, not brown, but even though it stained the entire top of her normally white head, it wasn't sopping wet or anything. I picked her up and took her into the house, and my wife and I looked her over for a cut or something, but never saw one. I guess it must be buried under her feathers or something, in a place that is not easy to see.

She doesn't seem in any pain. And even though chickens normally peck a hen really bad when they bleed, nobody was pecking at her. She was mingling in with the other chickens as if nothing was wrong.

We took her out of the flock for the night. She's sleeping here in the living room with me, in a dog cage I have covered with an Army blanket.

What should we do from here?

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I'd wash out the blood with water or something then put antibiotics on the source. Sorry, I've never had this before and am not really sure. Good luck [​IMG]

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Same thing happened here! Delaware, too. I have one Delaware girl that likes to pick on the Delaware rooster's waddles, causing bleeding. Then, when the rooster mounts a hen ...... you get blood on the hen's head.

4. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    i'm not sure what type of hen she is but i have a Polish Rooster who's head gets bloody because one of his feathers broke off. apparently some feathers are called "blood feathers" and they will bleed when they come out. is this a possiblity for you? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by