Bloody Tumors????? near hen's vent - - - help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bakohens, Mar 25, 2011.

1. bakohens

bakohens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    Bakersfield
    WHAT IS THIS?

[​IMG]

1) What type of bird, age and weight: Ouiser is a Barred Rock, one year, and about 5-7 pounds

2) What is the behavior, exactly: still eating, drinking, laying but not as active as she was a few months ago

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? she started acting listless about 6 weeks ago, and one eye was swollen. I brought her in the house and put her on antibiotics (baytril) for a week. She didn't get any worse and didn't seem to be in pain so I put her back out with the two other hens. Her eye is still swollen but it doesn't seem to bother her.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? The other two hens are fine.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Tonight I noticed blood on her tail feathers. I brought her inside and washed the area and discovered these weird lumps near her vent. Her vent, which you can see in the photo, is fine. It's just these weird tumor-like things. When she was sick about six weeks ago, I looked at her vent then, and she had a lump below the vent - not the two that you see in the photo. You can't see the blood in the picture but both lumps are bleeding. She isn't egg bound; she laid an egg yesterday, and she's been laying every other day pretty consistently for the last couple of weeks.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layer pellets. For treats: corn, yogurt, meal worms, greens, etc (not all at once, and not everyday); they "free-range" in my city lot back yard during the day.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Six weeks ago, it was green and runny, but it has since gotten normal. Although, she doesn't seem to poo as frequently as the other girls.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Baytril for one week, six weeks ago. She is now in front of the fireplance.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would prefer to treat myself, but I think this is beyond me. Should I have her put down? She doesn't seem to be in any pain.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: sand at the bottom of the coop, and pine? bedding in the nesting box

She's not as active as she was a few months ago, but she honestly doesn't seem to be in any pain. And she's still eating, drinking, and laying every other day. Does she have cancer? Should

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  2. bakohens

Mar 28, 2010
    Bakersfield
    Anyone?

I have a feeling that I should just have her put down - that she will never get back to her normal self - but I need to know if I am overreacting.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Hang in there for a bit...I'm sure someone will check out this posting soon. [​IMG]

4. bakohens

Mar 28, 2010
    Bakersfield
    Does anyone know what this is??????

5. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    It's only been one day and its the weekend. People are busy and not home. Just wait and someone will help in time.

6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    those look like a boil, I would drain them and use some antibiotic ointment on them. I have had something like that when I have gotten an ingrown hair, looks like maybe something like that happened to your hen if she is eating and drinking and acting okay I would not put her down I don't think its cancer I would keep the area clean dry and use the ointment on her and see how she does.

7. bakohens

Mar 28, 2010
    Bakersfield
    I just checked her out again and found another tumor/boil/cyst. This one is kind of between her legs but at the front. I had to clean quite a bit of blood away to get a good look at it.

I will try some neosporin and see how that goes.

[​IMG]

8. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Are they hard? Fatty? Full of pus? Do they feel hot? Do they smell?

9. bakohens

Mar 28, 2010
    Bakersfield
    They are solid but not hard - they kind of feel like a finger tip. They don't seem to be puss filled, and I haven't noticed any puss coming out of them. They are bleeding; I tried putting blood-stop on them this morning, but they were bleeding again this afternoon. She is currently picking at the one at her front so I'm trying to figure out how to (and if I should) rig a cone/collar to put around her neck to keep her from picking at it.

I don't notice any smell, but I haven't put my nose right up to them.

They don't feel hot.

10. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It does look like an abcess or boil. I would clean really well as suggested and if you can try to get some antibiotics for her. Since it is a skin wound I think the injectable Pencicillin G from the feed store might help. I have read several times on here that it is better for wound infections, but I don't know the dose. Giving her an injection is really not that hard. If you can't then try one of the antibiotics that can be put in her water. Also, be sure to keep her separate from the others so that they don't peck at the wound. I would not cull at this time, she sounds like she is doing pretty well and not in pain so certainly try to treat it. I hope she gets better for you. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by