Bloody vent area! **PIC**

KristaChickenWhisperer

Songster
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
Lake Stevens, WA
I just rescued a chick from the feed store that had blood gushing from her vent area. I couldn't tell if it was actually coming FROM her vent or just around it. The fluff was picked completely off by other chickens and she was being basically mutilated by the others. The clerk came out and dumped A TON of that rooster booster "peck no more" stuff on her and her back end was completely covered.

I got her cleaned up and it doesn't look like she is bleeding anymore but I don't know what else to do for her. Any opinions? I don't think its anything serious I am pretty sure she was just getting severely pecked at.

I have her isolated from my other birds and have offered her food and water. Not sure what else I can do. I feel bad for the poor thing.

15224_100_4064.jpg

She does seem to have a little bit of blood coming from her vent.

Last edited:
One of my chicks got a bit constipated from eating a lot of the newspaper in the brooder and when she pooped the red vent area popped out and my other chick started pecking her and drew blood.

I washed the area well and put some preperation H (to reduce the inflammation and soothe the area) on a ear bud and put that around and on the vent area. I also seperated the two by just putting plastic mesh between then so they could still see each other but not get pecked.

I kept this up for about three days and she was back to normal.

Good luck with yours!

Back
Top Bottom