Bloody Vent...Four Days Later...What Else Can I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SeaSea47, Mar 12, 2017.

1. SeaSea47

SeaSea47 Just Hatched

Mar 12, 2017
    Hi all,

I've got a 1.5-year-old Rhode Island Red, Marigold, with a bloody vent problem, and I need some help. I got her along with six other chicks, and despite all hatching on the same day, she developed way before they did and began laying way before the others did, though laying her first few eggs made her kind of sickly. Otherwise, she's been fine.

On March 8, I went to let my chickens out for a couple of hours of free time as I do every evening, and I saw a little blood in their run. Initially, I thought there had been in some kind of fight. I lost one who was fairly high on the pecking order to a coyote a a couple of weeks ago, and they've all been a little unsettled since. However, Marigold didn't come right out. When she finally did, I noticed blood dripping from her backside. She was walking as if she was scared, another chicken came and pecked her when she saw her, and she ran and hid behind a bush. I got back there and tried to examine her, but she ran out. She hung around the back patio near their coop for a while before going back inside the coop.

My initial thought was that one of the others attacked her. I cleaned her up as well as I could (she's feisty and I had no help) with water and antimicrobial spray), and put her in a separate little cage I have with fresh straw, some feed and a few berries, and some water with electrolytes and probiotics.

The next day, I went out to check on her and noticed she had bled a little more. I also noticed her poop was watery. But she'd eaten some of the feed and berries, which I figured was a good sign. Again, I cleaned her up a little bit, and I cleaned out the cage and refreshed her food and water. I also gave her some calcium.

Yesterday, I noticed she was moving around better. All bleeding had stopped. Her poop was no longer watery, and she was eating and drinking more, so I left her in the cage and didn't bother her too much, but I did notice she looks a bit swollen and she kept moving her tail up and down as if she was trying to get something out of her. I also got a better look at her backside, and now I'm thinking the bleeding is coming from her vent (I first thought it was external). There was a little bit of fresh blood today but not nearly as much as there was before. Just a drop.

Aside from all this, she looks and acts fairly normal. Her comb looks pretty healthy. She tries to run and fly when I mess with her, and she is eating and drinking. She is maybe more subdued than normal (and spends most of her time on the roost), but I can't tell if that's because she's wondering why she's stuck in this smaller cage or because she is having an issue. She is also no longer laying. Could she be egg bound? Would she have survived this long (4 days) if she was? What else can I do for her? I was going to try the warm bath, but it's very cold here now and I didn't want to make her sick, plus I feel like that would stress her out. Should I add a little dust bath to her cage and see if that helps her relax?

I have her next to the big coop, so she can see inside without being pecked. I also have tarps on top of her cage to try to keep her warm/dry. I had a light on for warmth, but I realized that might not be a good idea, so it's off now. Tomorrow I may see about taking her to a vet, but in the meantime, can I do anything else to help her improve? It's hard not knowing exactly what's wrong with her.

Thanks for any help! (That's her in the picture - took it yesterday)

[​IMG]

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there,
    It certainly sounds like maybe Marigold has a problem. I don't think she is 'egg-bound', but perhaps was and has managed to expel most of it. It sounds like maybe the egg broke inside her and she has some injury/infection causing her to bleed. If she does have a piece of shell or membrane left in there, it needs to come out.
    In view of the bleeding, I would be inclined to seek veterinary advice....if that's not possible, you need to slide a finger into her vent and see if you can feel anything (put a glove on first & lube it [​IMG] ). If you can, try to gently remove it - be aware that if she has internal injury she will need antibiotics from the vet.

3. SeaSea47

SeaSea47 Just Hatched

Mar 12, 2017
    Thanks for the response! If I see no improvement tomorrow, I think I will call my vet and see if he deals with chickens (I've seen ducks in there before, so I think so). I'd be afraid I'd do more harm than good. I took her a little treat tonight and changed out her water. She gobbled it up, so her appetite is still good, but I think she is tired of being in the little cage while her friends are exploring the yard.

4. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Keep us posted, I'm curious as to what shakes out...[​IMG]

5. SeaSea47

SeaSea47 Just Hatched

Mar 12, 2017
    Thanks! I will. I called, and my vet does see birds, so I've got an appointment with him tomorrow. Hoping he can fix her up!

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry your girl is having issues. If it was external like feather picking as it first sounded, Blu Kote is a good product. It hides the red which attracts others to peck more, sometimes leading to full blown cannibalism.

You did the right thing by making sure they can still see each other while she is separated otherwise she would have to work her way back into the packing order again and sounds like she is already kinda low. Not what I would expect from a red as they are usually spry. But chickens are opportunist and if they see her weak will use it as their chance to get above her in the pecking order. I've seen it dogs and chickens, sometimes other will join in and go after whoever is on bottom.

Good luck at the vet tomorrow! [​IMG]

7. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    How's your hen doing?

8. micstrachan

micstrachan Chillin' With My Peeps

How's your girl? It sounds like maybe an egg broke inside?

9. bald Rooster

bald Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2016
    Orlando area
    I hope you don't mind me jumping into your thread.
    I have a similar issue.
    I found one of my 6 month old RIR pullets hiding in a corner yesterday,her comb was light pinkish.
    I don't handle my chicken a lot so I new something was wrong when I picked her up and she didn't object.
    She was very lethargic so I looked at her and found her vent was very bloody and maybe swollen.
    Im not really sure as I haven't looked at a lot of vents.

I put her in a cage and looked at all my eggs and found one very large one. Double yoked.It had some thick areas of shell.No blood.(this egg may not be hers)I searched every were and didn't find anything unusual.
    Then after about a hour I went and checked her, she was sleeping and very cold.Im certain she was in shock.
    I believe she would have died if I hadn't put the heat lamp on her.
    The heat did bring her around and she moved near the water in her cage. her eyes were open the last I looked at her last evening.
    Any tips would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  10. bald Rooster

bald Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2016
    Orlando area
    A little update this morning. She is up on her feet and eating and drinking. I did notice she was very interested in her rear end.
    I did not clean it yesterday or anything as I felt the stress would not help.
    Im going to clean her up and leave her in this cage till I see whats going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by