Bloody vent

GIO22

Chirping
Sep 30, 2020
Hello everyone.
I have 13 hens (now 12 )and Roosters,all mixed breeds. somehow they killed one black maran 2 day's ago punctured a hole thru the vent and today the same.
I found my other maran with a bleeding vent.her vent was pecked but no hole thru the body.
I separate her from the others .
Anyone know why this behavior?
Thanks in advance

I am not super good at dealing with chicken bullying. But I did have this happen to one of my chicks back in April. Is the vent showing or are their feathers around it? And what do you mean by punctured through? And are the chickens getting pecked sickly, or somehow at the bottom of the pecking order?

Yes some feathers are missing around the vent.
And when I say puncture I mean they punched a hole.

Sorry for your loss. It could be cannibalism. How much room do you have in your coop and run, and how many chickens? Do they get let outside each day to free range? What do you feed them? Feather picking and vent pecking can be agressive behavior that could be from overcrowding, boredom from not getting outside, or too little protein in the diet. I would look for any signs of blood on the combs or faces of the rooster or hens. If you are not feeding a balanced chicken feed, I would do so. Here is a good article about picking and cannibalism:
https://poultry.extension.org/artic...ibalism-in-small-and-backyard-poultry-flocks/

Sorry for your loss. It could be cannibalism. How much room do you have in your coop and run, and how many chickens? Do they get let outside each day to free range? What do you feed them? Feather picking and vent pecking can be agressive behavior that could be from overcrowding, boredom from not getting outside, or too little protein in the diet. I would look for any signs of blood on the combs or faces of the rooster or hens. If you are not feeding a balanced chicken feed, I would do so. Here is a good article about picking and cannibalism:
https://poultry.extension.org/artic...ibalism-in-small-and-backyard-poultry-flocks/
I was thinking the same about the space .
I had 15 in a 16×8 run and I want to add a addition with another 14×15.
I planned in the beginning for 6 chickens and end up with 15 . 2 roosters and 13 hens ,now 12

Back
Top Bottom