1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody vent...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thunderkitty, May 23, 2007.

1. thunderkitty

thunderkitty Out Of The Brooder

Okay my dilemma...no extra lamp and a bloody bummed and shredded feathered bird! Should I bring her with to the store to buy blucote in a highly heated car or leave her with the others getting picked?! I need to leave fast so quick responses would be appreciated!

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  2. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Is there a possible way you could put up a divider in your brooder. That way you can set up the lamp in the middle so they all are getting heat? Maybe some thing like card board, or a type of wire fencing, Like a little chicken fencing.

3. thunderkitty

The lamp is attatched to the wall and only hangs out to the one side of their box. I'm at a loss of what to do, does tractor supply carry blukote? does anyone know, I dont even know where to go! I have her with me right now next to a bathroom heater on high, she's 3 1/2 weeks old so she's got alot of feathers....I'm just unsure, panicking..

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Can you put her in a separate box right next to the others so she shares the lamp? Otherwise, take her with you, otherwise you will worry too much about her.

5. thunderkitty

Well in my panic I stumbled across a small box with large flaps. I taped it "up" and put a desk lamp with a flood bulb (best I have) above her and a couple dishes with food and water (that she has already tipped over twice) in with her. She's pretty mad trying to fly over but she can't reach thank god...I called tsc and runnings and apparently tractor supply only has a different brand so I'm gonig to runnings....Wish us luck! [​IMG]

6. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Good luck! Make sure and keep us posted on how your chick's doing. [​IMG]

7. thunderkitty

Well...now it just seems like when it rains it pours! I had her in the spare bathroom, with her box taped so she couldn't get out. Everything was good... then someone left the toilet seat up whoever that was not me and the bird flew out of the box as the tape came unpeeled from the flaps. She got fairly wet, and my daughter was first to find her and I blowdryed her thoroughly, lowered her light I bought her a red brooder one like the others by the way. Anyway, she was panting and refused to drink water out of her dish so I gave her some in a dropper but she was falling asleep so I let her .....she had the blukote stuff all over in her mouth, I assume she was nipping at her own feathers then when she saw the blue...is that poisonous...I wonder if that was why she was panting...[​IMG] Well I reraised her light nontheless and hopefully she recovers tonight.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

At 3.5 weeks I just have a 75 watt bulb over my chicks. Your girl should be fine with a low wattage regular bulb. Only needs to be at about 75 degrees F now, she was probably panting because she was too warm. Hope she gets better. The bluekote suff should be fine as the amount was probally small and that stuff spreads like crazy.

9. thunderkitty

I turned the fan on and I think I'll raise her light waaay up because I don't have a light bulb over 60 watt besides the red one.

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm wondering if she's not constipated...has she gone to the bathroom recently...sometimes they will pick at their own bums to try and fix the problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by