Bloody vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NIDL00, Nov 11, 2013.

1. NIDL00

NIDL00 New Egg

Nov 11, 2013
    A few was ago, we found one of our 7-8 mo old chickens to have lost most of her feathers around her vent and a white coating. We decided it was a fungal infection, gave her a bath and applied anti fungal cream. She still doesn't have feathers and a slight film still but is acting fine. On Friday, I noticed one of the other chickens to have some stuck together feathers near her vent...matted...no white film but looked like some dried blood. We had an extra large egg that day with bloodied feathers on it. The next day, the chicken was dead. Today I went out and another chicken has bright red feathers around her vent and drops of blood in the coop. So far she is still alive but I'm concerned she isnt going to make it. I'm at a loss...is this all related? Do we have a parasite? Help! Thanks!

2. NIDL00

NIDL00 New Egg

Nov 11, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are two images to help with descriptiom

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is probably one or all of the chickens vent picking. Sometimes if a hen gets a prolapsed vent from passing too large an egg, or from being egg bound, there will be vent pecking. Sometimes they can kill each other. You need to make sure everyone is getting enough protein int the diet (at least 16 %, consider upping to 20%,) have enough room, and relieve boredom by providing things to do and climb on. Let them outside. Watch for who is doing this, and take them out and separate them.

4. NIDL00

NIDL00 New Egg

Nov 11, 2013
    My chicken with the bloody vent survived the night and the bleeding has slowed down but there is still oozing from the vent. She is isolating herself and eating very little. Is she doomed???? :-(

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make certain that she doesn't have any internal parts hanging out. Put some pressure on the bloody area for a few minutes to help it clot. Try bringing her in away from danger, and feeding her some scrambled chopped eggs. She could use with some electrolytes in her water, or give her some Pedialyte or Gatorade. Here is a recipe: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-heat-stress-dehydration-and.html

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  6. kealoni

kealoni Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2016
    I know your post was from a long time ago.i am having same problems with my hens.what did you do?did the hen survive.was the blood coming from inside the vent

7. Lucyluvchickens

Lucyluvchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    It might be coccidiosis, those are some of the symptoms

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by