1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody vent

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TwoDogFarm, Feb 25, 2015.

1. TwoDogFarm

TwoDogFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    Please help. I went out to feed my flock and one of my ducks is bleeding from her vent. No prolapse. We just treated her a couple of weeks ago for egg binding and she healed up completely before we put her back out there. One of my drakes got out of his enclosure and I'm wondering if he did this. What can I do for her?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think if you can get her in a lukewarm tub, that will rinse her off, help her relax a little, let you assess the situation.

Back into a safe secluded area for a bit, I would put some salve or ointment on her vet to soothe and prevent infection. Then check on her.

If you can get a vet's help, that's good. And I write that so that those who read this thread later will be reminded not to avoid the vet if it can be managed. At the same time, I understand it is not always possible.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you have chickens? I really don't think a drake or ducks would do this even in mating. But chickens are notorious for pecking vents skin any place they may see something red or uncommon looking. I'd do what Amiga says let her soak in some nice warm water to clean it up real good then slather on some triple antibiotic or other kind of antibiotic treatment.

4. TwoDogFarm

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    We do have chickens in there with them. Usually, though, whenever a chicken comes at them, when I'm out there at least (usually this happens when I throw down scratch), they run away from the chickens. But we have had some issues with pecking in the past. I'll try letting her soak. Thanks.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you
    Chickens are basically cannibals so you want to keep her away from the chickens and even the ducks .

6. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Due to the location of the bleeding I doubt it's just from a chicken peck. Any blood means take her to the vet! If she was eggbound there could be another issue related to it. The bleeding could be internal, and that's very, very serious. How much blood was there coming from her vent?

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Not a chicken peck but many chicken pecks I should have gotten a pic of what several hens did to my roosters wattles they literally shredded them. And he let them. Chicken will actually kill and eat one of their own if there is a wound or sore exposed. yes there could be something else going on too what does her vent look like TwoDogFarm

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  8. TwoDogFarm

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    Amykins, I think she has a sore that was bleeding. It didn't bleed a whole lot. Here's a pic of it now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. TwoDogFarm

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    It looks very irritated and sore to me.

10. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    It looks infected. :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by