1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoDogFarm, Feb 25, 2015.

1. TwoDogFarm

TwoDogFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    Please help. I went out to feed my flock and one of my ducks is bleeding from her vent. No prolapse. We just treated her a couple of weeks ago for egg binding and she healed up completely before we put her back out there. One of my drakes got out of his enclosure and I'm wondering if he did this. What can I do for her?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

she needs to be isolated as soon as possible!

Keep her by herself until everything is healed up.

3. TwoDogFarm

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    I've got her isolated from the flock but she's sharing a space with another duck who is having health problems right now. Going to let her soak in water and out antibiotic on her.

4. Alaskan

it there any injury that you can see?

or, is the blood coming from the inside?

5. TwoDogFarm

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    It looks like she has a sore that was bleeding. I'm not sure what the sore came from though. The bleeding has stopped. Here's a pic of what it looked like before I went to bed last night. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. TwoDogFarm

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    I an tell it hurts her when I touch near it. She had been egg bound a couple of weeks ago and we took care of that. We had her on antibiotic then. Her vent looked normal when we put her back with the flock Sunday. And now this.

7. Alaskan

man! I have no idea what could have caused that [​IMG]

very frustrating.. hang in there!

8. TwoDogFarm

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/955237/bloody-vent/60#post_14872086

I provided the above link in case anyone else has a problem with this or would like to see what happened with my duck.
    Long story, short, she ended up with a prolapsed vent last Friday and I had to take her to the vet. He put in stitches. The next day, she became egg bound due to the number of stitches there and I took her back to the vet where he cut two of the four stitches out and delivered the egg. She seems to be doing well, and although she isn't laying every day, she has laid since this happened. The vet also said that she has Giardiasis, which is a common illness in waterfowl. We are treating her for this now and still have her inside for the next couple of weeks until she completely heals. She's had a rough time, but hopefully is on the road to recovery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by