Bloody vent

lsvallance

Hatching
Feb 4, 2015
Hey everyone. i had something get in my coop last night. It managed to kill one hen and i think wounded another. One hen has a bloody butt. if the attack had not happened i would be thinking she was sick. (Which i guess she can still be) but i think she may be just wounded. I have her isolated in a dry warm spot. Should i try to clean her up? I dont want to stress her.

Hey everyone. i had something get in my coop last night. It managed to kill one hen and i think wounded another. One hen has a bloody butt. if the attack had not happened i would be thinking she was sick. (Which i guess she can still be) but i think she may be just wounded. I have her isolated in a dry warm spot. Should i try to clean her up? I dont want to stress her.

Yes, do clean her up so that you can assess the wound and treat it. Any blood will attract predators by scent and other chickens by sight. Plus you need to make sure the bleeding has stopped. If she has a vent wound, keep her somewhere dark to discourage laying while she heals.
smile.png

I would suggest that you use a solution of betadine in water to clean her wound(s)..and if you have any..apply some blue kote...this will ensure that she will not be pecked in her bloodied area when she is able to return to trhe flock....it will dye the wound blue...

You have done everything right by her..isolated and in a warm environment..hopefully she will be feeling much better tomorrow...

What concerns me right now is that something managed to get into your coop...a predator will try again...check all areas and ensure that the coop is predator proof..a rat can get into a coop through a very small opening easily and cause a lot of damage, as can larger predators...

Good luck you you and your chicken!

Thanks for the replies! Ive been battling 20* & sleet but have managed to repair the coop.

That's good you got it fixed. We had that weather here in MI 2 days ago. The predators are desperate right now. I found snowy tracks of dog like feet right at my coop door yesterday morning, good thing it didn't have a way in! Sorry for your loss and I hope your wounded girl heals well.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom