1. jackiestephens

jackiestephens New Egg

Dec 31, 2013
    I have four Leghorns hens. They all seem healthy but one has had a poopy/bloody vent for weeks. Her eggs are wet when laid and covered in fresh blood. I give them grit and calcium and a good feed. Not sure what to do? I am new to chickens.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Have you given the hen a bath and taken a good look at her vent? She may have a prolapse or vent gleet and/or you may have vent picking going on. You'll want to separate out the hurt bird at any rate and keep her away from the other ones until she is healed so they don't make it worse. If you can take pictures of her vent, people may be able to get a better idea of what you are dealing with.

3. jackiestephens

jackiestephens New Egg

Dec 31, 2013
    Thank you very much. This was spot on. I read up on prolapsed vents on the internet and my husband I washed the area, lubricated it and pushed it back in. Then we put some hemorrhoid ointment and antibiotic ointment on it. We also aren't feeding her for a day so she'll stop laying and get a rest. That was what the internet said to do. I also learned that it may not have been a good idea to leave the heat lamp on all winter. I thought I was spoiling my girls but perhaps I was overworking them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by