1. Chandler chicks

Chandler chicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    Woodford, Virginia
    Went out tonight to put my girls to bed and found one lying on the ground with a bloody protruding vent. There was a bloody egg in the box. The egg was not any larger than normal. She is lethargic so I brought her in since it is so cold and have offered water with electrolytes and a cooked scrambled egg, none has been taken yet. She is only 8 months old, what could be wrong? What should I be looking for? I have only had chickens for a year. My girls have been healthy, I have never medicated. Any ideas are appreciated.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Whether the egg was normal size or not, the blood and protruding vent certainly signal there is a problem. She may have come close to prolapsing and just didn't make it that far (which is good). If I were you, I'd clean her up, fix the protruding vent (if its not gone back in on its own, rub some raw honey on it and gently push it back in) and provide her with a heat lamp so she can keep warm. A quiet, low traffic area wouldn't hurt either. She's bound to be stressed, so the not eating and drinking is pretty normal.
    Unfortunately, she'll probably be prone to laying issues, that's been my experience with these types of things, anyway. I've been able to limp them along with an issue here and there, but I typically loose them at some point or another due to a laying issue.

Good luck.

3. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    Agreed.

4. Chandler chicks

Aug 5, 2014
    Woodford, Virginia
    What does the honey do? I have her in the garage with a heat lamp. Thanks for answering my questions. I don't want her to suffer.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It'll help soothe any inflammation. Raw honey also has antibacterial properties, so it'll help prevent infection (naturally) :)

6. Chandler chicks

Aug 5, 2014
    Woodford, Virginia
    She is still alive, not bleeding any more and has pooped normally twice. Unsure if she is eating or drinking, although it is right in front of her. Her crop feels empty. She's able to stand but really does not move around much. I have kept her away from the rest of the flock but think we should return her since she is no longer bleeding. We are getting a lot of snow, when should I return her to the flock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by