Bloody wing drooping... Broken? what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pullorroo, Dec 19, 2011.

1. pullorroo

pullorroo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    Mill Valley CA
    Chicken presumably attacked by hawk? I have cleaned bloody wound and applied neosporin. We cut feathers that were attached to wounded area. Her wing is hanging low, but she let us handle her wing and spread it out without reacting.

If her wing is broken, do we need to do anything other than let her heal?

Put her in the coop with her sisters, she acted normally.... making some scrambled eggs for her now.

Thanks to Anyone who has any insight or experience.

[​IMG]

2. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    If it is drroping you will need to bandage it into its natural position so it heals properly.

If she has a puncture or any other type of open wound you really need to make sure it stays clean because infection is the number one problem.
    Apply some antiseptic cream or powder, and change her dressing frequently, about twice a day.

You can also feed her some treats like scrambled egg or yogurt to keep her strenth up.

We had a hen with the exact same thing. Ive posted a pic of her. She is now fully recovered and happily living with the flock.
    [​IMG]
    You can see how I bandaged her wing, it was drooping like your hens.
    It migt also be a good idea to seperate her from the flock so she doesnt get pecked. But keep her where they can still se her so when it is time for her to go back in with them, she won't have much trouble.

Hope she gets better. [​IMG]

3. pullorroo

pullorroo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    Mill Valley CA
    Thanks for the advice. It is reassuring to know that your chicken recovered. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by