Bloody wing tips on rooster? Update-he's fine!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Coopacabana, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    My little lavender OEG bantam rooster has red tips on his wings. About half an inch of the longest wing feather on either side is 'dyed' red. He was all purpley-gray when i left two weeks ago. Now he looks like he dragged his wings through blood. Is this normal?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    Who was taking care of the birds while you were gone for two weeks? Did he get in fights, muddy run., molting? It is hard to offer help without more information, or a picture.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    "Purpley-gray" is the color of impending death. Sounds like he's being picked on terribly. If one of the others, or even by accident, breaks a blood feather, a bird can easily bleed to death.

4. Coopacabana

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    Quote:
    i will get pictures. We have lots of mud that he free ranges over, I doubt he fought anybody, as the rest of him and everybody else looks normal. He's not molting. Thanks

whoops, sorry. His feathers are purpley gray, or lavender, all the time. That's the color he always is and is now except for these red wing tips. The feathers appear whole, and he doesn't act like he's in pain. He isn't getting picked on, he's king of the coop. Thanks

5. Coopacabana

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    Well, he's still fine... i'm chalking it up to red mud or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by