Bloody Yolk? -no pictures-

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kittykitty30, Nov 22, 2014.

1. kittykitty30

kittykitty30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    Spring Creek, Nevada
    I cracked open a rather long egg tonight, expecting a double yolk, but instead a clump of blood came out- no yolk. Upon further investication I found an air sac and a wrinkly bit of shell at the top exterior. What could this be? I know the egg was laid today because I collected last night. It did snow and rain today, could that be a contributer? Also, my flock is sick (we haven't been eating the eggs) and are undergoing treatment (they are getting better and better each day). Again, what is it, and do I need to worry? Please tell me what I need to do to prevent this in the future. :(

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There is a good chance what they have will never be cured, even though the symptoms may improve.
    Some of the chronic diseases chickens get cause agg problems, al;though it's also true that you can see an occasional odd egg like that in a chicken who will then return to normal egg laying. I don't know whether you know what your flock has (whid usuall requires lab testing,) but here are some links if you'd like to read further.

http://www.vdl.umn.edu/prod/groups/cvm/@pub/@cvm/@vdl/documents/asset/cvm_asset_350829.pdf

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. kittykitty30

kittykitty30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    Spring Creek, Nevada
    Thank you! I do know that they do not have any diseases- all they have been doing is sneezing, and that's gone away with electrolytes, probiotics, and apple cider vinegar. I will read those links as soon as possible!

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by