"Bloom" question..........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farm_Maven, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    This subject came up on another thread. I was curious about it myself. We all know the bloom protects the egg from bacteria. Does the bloom actually have some anti-bacterial properties? Has there been any research?

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
  3. Farm_Maven

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Yes. I know all about the bloom serving as as barrier to keep bacteria out. I wonder if there is also something in the chemical composition that will also kill bacteria. Along the lines of a spermicidal gel. The gel itself acts as a barrier, but it also contains a chemical that kill any sperm it comes in contact with.

4. Chocobo

Chocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    This is a very interesting question. And one I would like a definitive answer to as well.
    This is the best article I have found on the subject. Although it does not come right out and say the bloom has no antibacterial qualities, it implies it is merely a physical barrier. The egg white, however, does appear to have antibacterial properties due mostly to its ph and the presence of Lysozyme.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNHoLgj9NpS5zCftZbZqjc85Krliwg&cad=rja

5. Farm_Maven

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    yeah, I read somewhere else that the whites have anti-bacterial properties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by