1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blooming Big Brahma Baby

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pgpoultry, Sep 14, 2010.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Well this one has got to be called Titan or Goliath or some such things.

Apologies first for the poor pic. and the absence of a hatch mate to compare him with, but it's blowing a gale and pouring with rain and all they want to do is stay in the little brood pen.I'll take better pictures when(if) the sun reappears.

He stands head and crop above his hatch mates and weighs a surprising amount for a 6 week old. I think he is Dark X Gold.

You can see the Gold hen going into the coop...and she is fair sized.

Just wondering why so big? Anybody got any theories?

[​IMG]

Sandie

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Lol he is going to be quite something, isn't he? I have a similar buff one. He is at least twice the size of his brother and sister, has developed much quicker. No idea why though. Yours is a cutie though!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Man, that boy has some long legs!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Curious, where do you live? Gold Brahmas aren't found in the US. . . And honestly, he looks like what a European based Brahma cockerel should look like - Very nice and leggy, huge, etc.

5. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I'm from Wales, and we do tend to have some very leggy and heavy birds about.

This big chick may have had a very tall Gold Brahma for a father who died at the time I was giving eggs to the broody Gold hen. If this was the case his mother is a large Dark hen, so his parents were both rather large. However, a hatch mate who should have had the same parentage is a scrawny little thing.

I'm assuming this big chick is male due to the feather pattern, but he feathered out very quickly for a male Brahma.The little scrawny one who I also think is male only has half his wing feathers and a few shoulder feathers, unlike the big guy who has quite advanced feathering.

The remainder (3) of the hatch are Gold Brahma pullets and are all much the same size as each other.

I don't think I've had a hatch with such size difference in two (assumed) males before.

Sandie

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:So jealous of you. [​IMG] Europe has the most amazing, gorgeous, and diversely colored Brahmas around. Oh and Australia, too.

7. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I think the big boy is definitely male....anyone think different?

[​IMG]

Thanks, sandie

Oh and thanks for the nice comments about our many Brahma colours, most breed true (though not the Blue Partridges).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  8. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! You could put a saddle on that guy and ride him to town!

But he's not just BIG,..He so handsome,..and I agree with Illia,.. ya'll have "the most amazing, gorgeous, and diversely colored Brahmas around. "

Nice photo's.

9. Kyhen

Kyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Hart Co., Ky
    Nice bird. Can't wait to see a picture of him fully grown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by