Blotches on yoke and spot on shell

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jasonslater, Oct 13, 2011.

1. jasonslater

jasonslater Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    I have concerns over the condition of my eggs. I have noticed spots developing on the shells of my chickens eggs. I have 3 hens, 1 ex-battery, 1 Plymouth Buff, and 1 Rode Island Red and a cock, a Light Sussex. I am attempting to bread from the Buff and the RIR, but i don't always save the eggs for the incubator so they go in the fridge for eating. Firstly is this OK to do? I am concerned that the eggs may be developing a bacterial infection as they seem to develop lots of small dark spots in the shell, and some i have opened have blotches in the yoke. Is this because they are fertilized as i can also see a white spot about 2mm/2mm on the yoke or is it something else. I have 8 in an incubator right now and they all have there spots i must admit that as this is my first attempt i was not fully clued up and a little naive, so i have not sanitized any eggs at all.

[​IMG]

I've loads more question but i'll leave it there for now.

2. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Not sure about the spots on the shell, could it be they are really porous? Try candling it and see how even the shell is.

The little white mark on the yolk does mean it's fertilised. Many describe it as a little target. You can still eat them too.

heres a pic I found online of it http://www.grainard.com/newupdates/whatarefertilizedeggs/eggyolk.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  3. jasonslater

Oct 13, 2011
    Thanks for your reply

The white spot is the same, thats great news, at least i know my cock' is not all mouth and no trousers. Will try candling again can't quite remember what i noticed last time just that the spots where even clearer to see.

4. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
  5. jasonslater

Oct 13, 2011
    Great pictures, that could be it. Just don't see it on a newly layed egg. Still need to know what the blotches are on the yoke, they look to me to be suspicious, various sizes 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, just darker yellow to orange. Will try an get a pic to show later.

6. jasonslater

Oct 13, 2011
    Ok seems to have cracked two parts to my post but still looking for any help identifying what the blotches are on my yokes, worried about eating them firstly and incubating potentially bad eggs.

Thanks Animalian for your help so far. Just went to the supermarket and took a look at eggs with the UK lion mark on and they too have the same dark spots on the shells.

7. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    That is how my eggs look like if I wash them and leave them be for a couple of days. It is like the shells become porous. Some shells are naturally porous so you might be dealing with that.

8. jasonslater

Oct 13, 2011
    Here are the blotches on the york i was talking about.

[​IMG]

I eat this one with a couple of clear yokers as scrambled egg, as yet no ill feelings!!

9. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:Mhm. I see what you mean. That is odd. I don't know if you should eat them. Maybe wait and see if the eggs will start to look better and then try? I am usually not sqeamish but without knowing what is causing this I'd be careful. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

10. jasonslater

Oct 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by