Blow drying chickens...PICS added...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I swear it took us 45 minutes to blowdry ONE bantam cochin pullet yesterday and we both had a blowdryer. She stood very still but the feathers are so thick!!

Boy does she look good for the Alachua Co. Fair today!! We're taking 3 of our black bantam cochins...a roo, a hen and a pullet. Wish us luck!

Will post pics when we return this afternoon...

Good luck Dixiechick and her kids on their entries...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2008
  2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I love showing my birds, but the washing and blow drying is the down side. Especially since some of the birds I show are Standard cochins. Each takes about 90 minutes to wash, rinse, wash, rinse, rinse, towel dry, and then the long process of blow drying.

Luckily, my d'Uccles only take about 30 minutes each.

Matt

3. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

I know what you mean. I just washed and blow dried 6 3 month old babies :eek: and I still have 6 more adults to go, but that will wait for another day. I'm tired and I didn't get anything else done today.

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Gator, still waiting on your pics [​IMG]

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I really think a stack of microfiber towels help here. They hold a lot of water-- 'Course, so does a freshly-washed chicken!! Shocking amount of water, really!!! [​IMG]

6. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    LOL I love fluffing my Leghorns up. After I'm done with them they look like big silkies!! [​IMG] Takes me about 1-2 hours for one chicken to get it all dry.

7. Milliestwo

Milliestwo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2008
    I washed 5 two month old baby silkies the other day and for a bird that isn't suppose to like water these kids didn't mind it at all.
    When it came to blow drying they really loved that and a few of them laid on their backs for blow drying the tummy.

These babies are spoiled rotten, I have two blacks and two blues and one ? almost has a lavender cast to the fluff.We shall see what color they turn out to be.

I live in Virginia in an area called Farmville and I would like to show my silkies but have no idea what to do or what is required, if anyone out there can give me some info I would sure apprecieate it.

The one that I want to show right now is my 6 mo black splash roo he is heavly feathered and has a comb that looks like a round walnut and he has a silver collar and bib,he is extremly handsome.

All info and help greatly apprecieated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Linda (Silver Ash Silkies)

8. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    I blow dried my OEGB roo and he loved it - I thought OEGBs were supposed to be skittish?

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Msbear...here are the pics! My daughter won Reserve Champion with her black bantam cockerel...

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

10. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    He is beautiful! That blow drying certainly paid off! Congratulations!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by