1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blown eggs as Christmas tree ornaments

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by whirlwind2357, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Has anyone else done this? I love to blow eggs and paint designs on and then attach hooks to hang them.

2. katsdar

katsdar Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
    I have seen some of the eggs people have painted on here and they are just beautiful, but no I'm not that talented to paint the eggs. Post pictures would love to see them

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'd like to see pictures of your eggs too! My friend @sunflour did something similar to what you are describing using her chicken's first eggs. Wish I would have thought of that with my girl's first eggs, they make a wonderful, personal ornament.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Wow those are really well done eggs :)

Thanks NFC for the mention, mine are quite simple, just decoupaged to preserve the natural look:

[​IMG]

@whirlwind2357 I found the directions using a needled syringe to remove the egg ( not to waste it ) , then inject soapy water to clean the inside, then inject water to rinse that out, leave a few days with the hole down to drain the water out. Very easy, but BE CAREFUL, I stuck my finger with the needle on the third egg and quit - had first egg from all 6 gals and so sorry I didn't preserve them all. But I like this technique because you have only one hole on the egg to cover up.

2 people like this.
  5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's a nice technique @sunflour , I like the idea you only end up with 1 hole in the egg.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What a great idea! I'm going to have to see how to do this. My girls are just now 19weeks, so no one has started to lay yet, but it would be really neat to have the first egg saved from each one.
    And...of course I love the idea of making more for ornaments, right down my alley.

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    The hardest part was finding covers for the holes - I tried looking at fittings in craft store jewelry making supplies, but all were too small. These were from ancient ornaments from my mom's attic and had a lot of them saved after bulbs were broken.

8. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Emptied out my duck eggs today, for ornaments!! I ended up using a metal flavor injector syringe from the grocery store.
    I haven't had a lot of time lately for crafts, so, really excited!!! We'll see how it goes...wonder how much paint I'm gonna spill!!!!!

9. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    be sure to post the results! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by