1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BLR Wyandotte chick color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MrsChickendad, Apr 2, 2009.

1. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Just hatched out 4 pretty babies, blue laced red wyandottes. I think I read somewhere that you can sex them right away as they are kind of sex linked. Is that true? I went to Feathersite and checked out the chick pictures and according to that I have one cockerel and 3 pullets! Anybody know?

The three light ones are very much the same and different from the chimpmunk striped one. The little guy in the back is a bantam cochin.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I haven't found that to be true.

3. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I agree with Katy.The blue genetic hold true just as if they were any other BBS breed.You can have dark blue,medium blue, or splash.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It will be interesting to see how those really light ones turn out. I've never seen any BLRW chicks that light before. Even my light chicks are much darker than those.

In this picture this group of chicks ended up being about 50/50 roo and pullets and as you can see they all pretty much look the same.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  5. MrsChickendad

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Well, heck, It seemed like such a great idea, but I can't remember where I read it. I am on chicken overload, I guess.

I only had 4 hatch out of 15 eggs. Anyone have any clue what they should feather out like?

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I added a picture to my previous post.

As for what they're going to look like, I don't think you'll have very much lacing on the light colored ones. Did you see pictures of the parent stock?

7. MrsChickendad

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    The light ones are actually darker than they appear, due to camera flash. They have buff colored down with red tips, backs are blue, almost as dark as the blue cochin chick.

8. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Katy the one's I have were not like yours.Mine were more like the OP's.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Hmmmmm...I guess time will tell what they grow out to look like. [​IMG]

10. MrsChickendad

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    I got the eggs from a well known breeder, saw pix of his stock and thought it had nice color. The three are very consistent in down color, can't tell them apart. Will cross my fingers for three pullets and a roo, though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by