BLR Wyandotte & I guess all roos... when do they get spurs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ears73, Aug 26, 2008.

1. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Hiya folks,

I have a Jersey Giant roo and a BLR Wyandotte roo - both 16 weeks old. The JG has nubs of spurs coming out, like a little pencil eraser. The dotte has nothing.

Is this normal? We are still deciding which roo to keep, and I am assuming that they will both get spurs and know how to use them... Neither of them is on the hens yet either...

I have read JG's mature later because they are so big, but what about the BLR Wyandotte? Is he a late bloomer as well?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Some of my BLRWs who will be a year old in October barely have inch long spurs.

3. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Quote:Wow, cool - how many BLR roos do you have and are any aggressive? Are they very loud crowers? I really don't want to give ours up, but the likelyhood of the JG and him getting along well with 8 hens is doubtful... [​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Right now I've got 2 adult, 2 almost adult and a bunch of 2 month olds growing out. None are aggressive. They are loud crowers. Right now the older 4 are in a large run with 3 Marans and 1 Buff Orp roo and a bunch of hens. They have some little skirmishes, but I haven't seen any of them really fight with each other.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by