BLR Wyandotte progress

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by McSpin, Oct 22, 2009.

1. McSpin

McSpin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    South Western NY
    This is a new breed for me. I bought two lines and out of 35 birds I've culled down to two cockerels and a dozen hens. Since this is a newer breed that needs a lot of work to get closer to the standard for wyandottes, I figured they'd be fun to play with.

I'm not real sure how these rate in regards to the SOP, but they sure are nice birds that I'm having fun with. My only disappointment is that none have laid an egg and the oldest are 30 weeks old. That is the longest any of my breeds have gone without laying. They are also very friendly, following me everywhere and getting under foot, but oddly if you try to pick one up, it will bite, every one of them, almost every time. They tend to grab and not let go. Both lines! However when they look this good, it's pretty easy to ignore that small annoyance.

Line 1 - 30 weeks old. This cockerel is very round and broad. It's hard to tell by the photos, but he is much wider than the younger cockerel in line 2. His lacing seems good, but his color seems a bit too golden to me. I think his comb is very good.
    [​IMG]

Line 2 - 24 weeks old. This cockerel is a bit too young to judge in my opinion, but he shows a lot of potential (I think). Color seems to be much better than line 1, but I'll have to wait to judge body type.

[​IMG]

I hope this is descent stock for working towards the standard. They sure make for a very expensive chicken dinner otherwise.

2. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    the second roo has a bigger head and better color than number one.....I think you are off to a good start.

Our BLRW are pretty friendly......but every now and then we get a roo that wants to bite.

3. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Beautiful birds [​IMG]

4. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Beautiful birds! I'm working with them too. #1 seems to have pretty good type but is pretty gold in the hackles and saddle. They both have nice even lacing and I like their combs too! Should have some nice babies! Have fun! [​IMG]

5. McSpin

Jun 1, 2007
    South Western NY
    Mrs. Turbo :

the second roo has a bigger head and better color than number one.....I think you are off to a good start.

Is the big head good or bad? I'm not sure it's that much larger. The line 1 bird is significantly larger, but also older. The standard says short, round and broad, but I'm not sure how this relates to size.​

6. McSpin

Jun 1, 2007
    South Western NY
    Quote:Thanks for the constructive comments. I've heard that working towards type is most important with this breed. Proper color apparently is easier to acquire afterwards. This is why I'm most happy with line 1 at this point. This bird seems very broad more wyandotte-like in body shape and has since it was quite young. Either way I think both lines compliment each other. Weak areas in one line seem to be better in the other.

7. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    [​IMG]

8. Mrs. Turbo

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Quote:Is the big head good or bad? I'm not sure it's that much larger. The line 1 bird is significantly larger, but also older. The standard says short, round and broad, but I'm not sure how this relates to size.

big head is a good thing [​IMG] you also want wide bodies and they should end up looking like a basketball with a V cut in the top. They do take 18 months to reach full maturity so sometimes the "late bloomers " will surprise you

9. McSpin

Jun 1, 2007
    South Western NY
    Mrs. Turbo :

... you also want wide bodies and they should end up looking like a basketball with a V cut in the top. They do take 18 months to reach full maturity so sometimes the "late bloomers " will surprise you

That's good to know. Sometimes, the line 1 bird actually appears wider than it is high. It's good to know that I've got another 10-12 months to see further improvement.

These two clearly had some qualities the other cockerels in the group didn't. I'll pay more attention to that large head thing.​

10. Mrs. Turbo

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Hi this is Jerry and I am borrowing my wifes user name....again.

Dont even try to start picking roos based on type at this time!! I will always try and pick the best BLRW cockerel in my grow out pens and leg band them based on type...and when they are around a year old, the third or fourth best roo will end up being the best bird type wise....trust me on this I have been raising BLRW for around five years. There are a few things you can start looking at at this age though, how long the back is and tail rise....they are mostly all legs at this age though.

You do need to keep an eye on color with this breed, with brassy color hackles being a problem you need to keep an eye on in the roos and hens. I would cull the rooster from line one based on his color...the color on line two roo is much better and he will probably be just as wide in the end, his back appears to be much shorter also...though it is hard to see from angle of the pic. Also the line one roo has a very long back and no tail rise to speak of....JMHO...take it or leave it. The type can change...but normaly a long back is always a long back...and light brassy colored hackles are always brassy.

Is this where you tell me the line one roo came from me? Just remember you will have to cull alot of birds to come up with a few good ones...I raise 150-200 blrw chicks every year to get just a few good ones, the odds have gotten better over the years, but they are a very hard variety to work with and get right. They are worth it in the end and good luck with them..

Jerry

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by