BLR Wyandottes-Pullets or Cockerels??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goldnchocolate, Jul 20, 2010.

1. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Last spring I won some hatching eggs on a BYC auction. Only 2 of the Blue Laced Red Wyandottes hatched and they developed combs and wattles really early so I assumed they would both be cockerels. Now I'm not so sure [​IMG] [​IMG] . They are 12 weeks old and haven't developed anymore roo-ish looking features. I would love to hear others opinions. I've always wanted some of this breed since the first time I ever saw a picture of one. I'm r-e-a-l-l-y hoping for girls!!

This is the lighter colored of the two:

[​IMG]

The little cockerel behind the BLRW is the same age and he is definitely beginning to look like a roo:

[​IMG]

This one is the darker one:

[​IMG]

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I am by no means an expert lol just hazarding a guess here. First BLR Wyandotte I will guess cockerel, just because of how red the comb and face appears. Second I am guessing pullet, her comb looks a bit more pinkish rather then red and her tail feathers are there and curved down (could be how she is perched) but the 1st bird has less tail feathers. Just a fun guess though! [​IMG] both could be pullets for all I know lol but do update I am curious.

edited to add: lol I also have no wyandotte cockerels at that age right now, just two pullets who are around 10 or 11 weeks old.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  3. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    My argument is pullet, pullet, cockeral based on my own that are around the same age... good luck!

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I'm certainly no expert either, but I'm guessing all little girls. My SLW roos (that were packing peanuts) at 10 wks now have definate roo tail feathers and some pointy saddle feathers. Hope they're all pullets!

5. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    I'm going to go against the grain and say roos. Sorry! My ladies don't have any wattles compared to those two! And I think I see some saddle feather coming in on the first one. Second one is hard to tell in that regard.

6. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:I guess that is what is confusing to me--no tail feathers yet and all of the other boy chicks that hatched in the same batch (different breeds) have nice long tail feathers.

7. countrychix

countrychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Frewsburg, NY
    I would say first one is a pullet, the second one I can't tell from the picture.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Roos.

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I agree, boys. zero chance they are girls. Sorry. [​IMG]

10. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Yes, I think 1st one is a boy, second one hard to tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by