BLR Wyandottes

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Picco, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I would like to start a small flock of blue laced red wyandottes. I've been raising chickens for many years now and I thinks its time for me to get some quality birds. I would like to buy either hatching eggs or chicks from quality stock. I'd like to end up with about six adults so I'd buy a dozen or so eggs or chicks. I already have to SL hens, what would the result be of crossing them with a BLR roo? I will be ready for the eggs or chicks May 10th.

2. Picco

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
  3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I bought eggs from Red Dirt Chicken Ranch several years ago and a two of the hens on my website are the results of those eggs. I just recently bought some eggs on line because my wyandottes are not really laying, (two years old). I have been reading on the yahoo group that BLRW have poor fertility and poor egg laying. I have noticed this since I have start raising them and I have decided to just not breed them actively anymore. I will keep a few around, but just not going to purposely breed them to sell anymore, takes up too much pen space to isolate them for breeding and them get nothing. If I want more at anytime I will just buy eggs again. Incedently, I hatched 5 chicks from a dozen eggs I bought from someone in WA.

4. Picco

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Thanks, I just emailed them, I hope they have them available. It seems like everyplace that has quality BLRs is sold out. I don't really want to order chicks from a large hatchery because I'm looking for quality, but I might have to try it out. Has anyone had any success?

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Picco-
    I have a friend with a trio. Would you like me to send him your email address? He can ship you some eggs. Also, BlissChick has BLRWs and I have a chick from her.
    Hotwing (on the left) is from my friend Jim and Nugget is from BlissChick.

[​IMG]

6. Picco

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    That would be great if you could tell them about me. I have been searchng all over for quality BLRWs and havn't had much luck - they're mostly sold out!. I won't be able to recieve any eggs/chicks until May 10th. Thank you SO much. [​IMG]

7. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Colorsplash Poultry, http://www.mothermastiff.com/, is another small hatchery with BLRWs. She obtained her stock from Lowell Barber. I haven't gotten anything from her (yet), but I do recall that she stated her BLRWs are poor layers, incredibly broody, but very friendly.
    Stephanie

8. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    i got mine from mcmurray. they're only 8 wks old so i have no idea about their laying ability.

all of them except one is the light blue like carri's nugget. one got one dark blue. here he is at 6 wks. i really like him. i guess because i've been handling him alot, he's really easy going.

i really hope they lay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Pretty bird, Blue!!
    I hear they are good layers, but it doesn't matter to me. I just thought they were beautiful and had to have some!! I'm making DH build a coop just for them! [​IMG] I'm sure my banty roo won't like sharing his ladies with a standard sized Nugget.

10. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    thank you! i think they are very beautiful, too. when i saw them on feathersite, i just HAD to have them.

somebody (i think on the other board) said mcmurray bought out a breeder. i'm sure it's still pet quality, but personally, i really like the way the coloring has turned out with the 10 that i bought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by