BLRW - black or blue?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by slackwater, Jul 14, 2010.

1. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    This handsome fellow hatched 3/16/10 - so he is 4mos old. I'm *pretty sure* he's a blue...can anyone confirm? Any particular strengths or weaknesses that you can see offhand?

[​IMG]

2. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

He is BLUE, not black. IMO he's not bad but he should be a deeper red verses the orange-ish red he is. Some friends of mine at PaulsPoultry.com raise respectable BLRW standards if you want to compare your bird with theirs.

3. slackwater

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Is there any chance that he will darken with age or when he goes through a molt?

I have some younger ones...I will keep him around but see if any of them are a better color pattern.

4. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Likely not. What you see is what you get really.

5. slackwater

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Okay, so then back to my other post about the four younger cockerals - are any of the dark ones blues? I'm having a really hard time telling. I guess I'm blue/black blind [​IMG] And are any of them better with respect to their red coloring? I mean, I have my guesses, but more expert opinions are always welcome [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=373206

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    He's a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte.

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    definate blue [​IMG]

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree that he looks pretty orange in the picture which is not the color you should be aiming for, but his legs don't look very yellow either so is it just the picture? He's still young and has lots of filling out to do, but he's too tall and not round enough for what I would keep.

9. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    i think he is a blue. [​IMG]

10. slackwater

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Quote:I was taking pics in the evening, with the flash going off *sometimes*; I will try to take a new pic and see if he looks better [​IMG] I haven't been out there yet today (DH took care of them this morning), so I haven't had the chance to re-critique him [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by