BLRW, Blk Orp, Lt. Sussex: Which one do you like "best"?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by greenfamilyfarms, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Black Orpington

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Blue Laced Red Wyandotte

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Cor./Light Sussex

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I know this is a loaded question, but I need your opinion on what you think is the "best" of the above 3 in terms of egg laying ability, general appearance, and personality (and others, if you wish to mention them). Also, we love to show our chickens at small shows, so being able to get a good quality bird will be a plus. If you would like, you can list them in order from your first pick to your last pick, but that's not necessary. And just for those that may be a little fuzzy on what these breeds look like, here are some helpful links:

Black Orpington

Blue Laced Red Wyandotte

Coronation/Light Sussex

2. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    According to Henderson's Chart ...

Orpingtons: average layers of brown eggs, cold hardy, good broodies, docile, dual purpose, weigh 8 lbs

Wyandottes: above average layers of brown eggs, cold hardy, excellent broodies, docile, dual purpose, weigh 6.5 lbs

Sussex: average layers of lt. brown eggs, cold hardy, good broodies, curious and active but gentle, dual purpose, weigh 7 lbs

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I like both my black orpingtons and BLRWs....I've never had the light sussex but did raise Speckled sussex and their personality was great, but they didn't lay a very big egg.

BLR is not an accepted color pattern by the APA. You can show them, but they can only place to a certain level, if that makes any difference to you.

4. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    All 3 are winter layers, a plus plus in my book.

I am partial to Wyandottes in general. I just like their appearance, I like the Rose comb, and of my birds, they are the friendliest. My Golden Laced Wyandotte also turned out to be an excellent foster mama. That's my Dottie in my avatar.

5. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Thanks, Katy! Somehow I had forgotten that. [​IMG]

6. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Don't let that stop you.....we would like to show them along side the other wyandottes someday.

7. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    I think a nice big black orpington with a good green sheen is beautiful, so I voted for the black orp, and their are several show stopping breeders out there to get eggs or stock from

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My Black Orpingtons lay better than the BLRW.

9. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    How about a black wyandotte.....they got popular this year and you can show them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by